• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will China start unloading US bonds / dollars?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

China's economy is built on the strength of the dollar. They dont care what their US Treasuries are worth, as long as their exports continue to look cheap. Why would they risk weakening the dollar by unloading their stash?
    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
      Why would they risk weakening the dollar by unloading their stash?
      Why is it automatically assumed to be a closed system incapable of change? The point is they might not have a choice if, a big if, the US defaults. They can be first, be smarter, or cheat.

Wind the clocks back, the 11th hour 2007, ordinary joe walks up to Fred of RBS and says "Look, you've got to sell all US mortgage securities, do it, do it now" Fred says "You're mad, those debts have triple A ratings, nothing beats owning US debt"

Then wham. All I'm saying is the probability the US will not default is no longer 0%.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Why is it automatically assumed to be a closed system incapable of change? The point is they might not have a choice if, a big if, the US defaults. They can be first, be smarter, or cheat.

Wind the clocks back, the 11th hour 2007, ordinary joe walks up to Fred of RBS and says "Look, you've got to sell all US mortgage securities, do it, do it now" Fred says "You're mad, those debts have triple A ratings, nothing beats owning US debt"

Then wham. All I'm saying is the probability the US will not default is no longer 0%.
        Obviously if the US defaults then all bets are off. I didn't think the original question was "if the US defaults, will China start selling its treasuries?"...
        "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Put in simple terms for PooperScooter :

1) China can't sell off it's USD without triggering a financial collapse.
          2) America can't default without triggering a financial collapse.

Anything outside these known truths is unthinkable.

HTH
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
            Obviously if the US defaults then all bets are off. I didn't think the original question was "if the US defaults, will China start selling its treasuries?"...
            No it was not. It was my thinking China would be less worse off to act now, than do nothing. The alternative is to continue having a gun pointed at your head.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

No it was not. It was my thinking China would be less worse off to act now, than do nothing. The alternative is to continue having a gun pointed at your head.

How are you this thick?

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                Put in simple terms for PooperScooter :

1) China can't sell off it's USD without triggering a financial collapse.
                2) America can't default without triggering a financial collapse.

Anything outside these known truths is unthinkable.

HTH
                Was it not Aristotle who once said " The Law is reason free from passion", in this instance the law is physics applies. We all know the house of cards cannot be an infinite structure, they've got to collapse sometime. And repeating it can't happen because of the consequences that would result is really deserving the attention of natural selection to wield it's sword to protagonist & observer alike.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

How are you this thick?
                  Touché

Are you still working in Germany?

Comment

Touché

Are you still working in Germany?
                    No, so you can't nip up to Gutersloh and "pop a cap in ma ass"

I agree with you about the house of cards. It is driving the layman that pays attention to the point of distraction just not knowing.

The one rather sobering thought I had last night was "there must be a reason no one cares". Perhaps the timeline is set, and the powers that be just keep pumping up the tyres when they go flat no matter how many times they have to pull over and do that as they know they will still reach their destination in time.

For your benefit, the metaphor above describes the bicycle with punctures as the global economy and the elite as the cyclist. When the cyclist reaches his destination the bike is discarded.

Comment

Opportunity to buy on the dips ? I find myself with a significant cash position at the moment and I am steadily buying index trackers as the market drifts lower. Kept some powder dry too which I will wedge in on any big steps down.
                      They will not default, they will bounce the ceiling after the posturing has been done and points made.

Comment

Working...
                      X