• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Web developers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My guess that in most systems password is stored in plain text in database.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman
      Yep, and with a salt too. Remember that if you rename or copy a user record you need to ask for a new password and regenerate the hash.

Since Daleks have a limited vocabulary, more than one might choose a password of "exterminate". Using this method, Dalek1, Dalek2 etc would end up with different hash values.
      On Skaro we overcame this problem quite easily. My password is exterminate1, the Supreme Dalek's is exterminate2, and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
        yes, in a table named passwords in a database name db, located in the root of C:\

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
          yes, in a table named passwords in a database name db, located in the root of C:\

HTH
          That's right. It is password protected but login name 'admin' (password 'admin') will let you in.

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl
            Most talented developers these days work in web developement due to the complex nature of the various levels one needs to think about. e.g. sessions/stateless nature/ajax/web services/caching.
            Mmmmm. Most talented developers are all rounders and don't box themselves into 'web' or 'Windows' or 'middleware' or 'database' labels.

When you're working on a 24 hour, real time, global trading system, you'll find that, "I'm a web developer" won't cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
              I haven't seen that in years.

Here's some info on Oracle passwords:

http://www.red-database-security.com...passwords.html

Oracle brute force attacks / Oracle Password Decryption

It is not possible to decrypt a hashstring but (with) the simple Oracle salt (=Username) it is possible to do a brute force or dictionary attack. There are several Oracle brute force or dictionary attack tools available. These tools encrypt the username/password and compare the hashkeys. If the hashkey are identical the password is known. From simple SQL based tools (<500 pw/second) up to special C programs like checkpwd. The fastest tool calculates 1.100.000 passwords/second. On a Pentium 4 with 3 GHz it takes (26 ascii characters only, e.g. 26^5)

10 seconds to calculate all 5-ascii-character-combinations
              5 minutes to calculate all 6-ascii-character-combinations
              2 hours to calculate all 7-ascii-character-combinations
              2,1 days to calculate all 8-ascii-character-combinations
              57 days to calculate all 9-ascii-character-combinations
              4 years to calculate all 10-ascii-character-combinations

You should always use strong and long passwords to avoid brute force or dictionary attacks.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

This is how database itself stores user passwords - which is certainly reasonably secure, where as I am talking about developers who in my view would more often than not choose to store password in plain text in their own designed tables.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  This is how database itself stores user passwords - which is certainly reasonably secure, where as I am talking about developers who in my view would more often than not choose to store password in plain text in their own designed tables.
                  Given the available information on the subject, they have no excuse really.

Oh, since you mentioned MD5 and SHA-1, here's a snippet for you

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...functions.html

"Note: Exploits for the MD5 and SHA-1 algorithms have become known. You may wish to consider using one of the other encryption functions described in this section instead."

Comment

Indeed, there is really no excuse. As for exploits of MD5 and SHA1 - if you read in details they are pretty much theoretical, this kind of attack can only be mounted by Govt entities and those guys would prefer to use simple methods - a few broken fingers and person in question will give all passwords they want.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                      As for exploits of MD5 and SHA1 - if you read in details they are pretty much theoretical, this kind of attack can only be mounted by Govt entities and those guys would prefer to use simple methods - a few broken fingers and person in question will give all passwords they want.
                      Ah yes, "social engineering"

Comment

Working...
                      X