• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tories toughen their image with hard line on benefits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    You can't have two people doing the same job with one on minimum wage and other on benefits, unless both incomes are the same.

To quote our glorious leader "it's morally wrong".
    You are fixating on equivalent rates of pay for the job but benefits make the difference up. Many of my friends work for near minimum wage yet could claim benefits and stop working whilst receiving much the same take home. The break even with benefits was earning about £7.50 an hour.

So someone on Benefits with housing and council tax paid for could easily be on more than someone on minimum wage.

They are not working they are training and the workfare should reflect that, I suggest a weekly attendance at college getting a relevant qualification e.g. 'NVQ in customer service'. Maybe those taking on workfare people should use them to support their staff doing training? e.g. 1 workfare does 1 day a week training and supports 4 other people on the other days so they can do training?

that way no jobs lost but a better trained workforce?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

eh?
      Pay and expenses for MPs - UK Parliament
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You can't have two people doing the same job with one on minimum wage and other on benefits, unless both incomes are the same.
        Of course you can. Where on earth did you get that idea?

Miss Styles did voluntary work for over a year after leaving full-time education. It gained her experience, and now she has a full-time career in that field partly on the basis of that experience.

Comment

Originally Posted by scooterscot
          Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          It's this thinking that helped me seek work abroad.

I recall a peer whilst working in the UK, exact same qualification & experience, in fact same hiring manager when I was a permie many moons ago. The peer moved south I think Basingstoke and his salary went up for the exact same job I was performing near Edinburgh. I asked for an increase in the year that followed to match ex-peer, and was told no and "well scooter it's more expensive down there you see" I'm like "What the HELL has that got to do with my job? And the skills & qualification I bring?" I was livid, handed in my notice six weeks later. This happens across the country and we wonder why we have the south east running away with itself.

You'd probably agree equally qualified & experienced individuals should be paid the same, until their sex is considered in all.

It's all going to pot.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Don't it always seem to go,
            That you don't know what you've got till it's gone,
            They paved paradise,
            And put up a parking lot
            Bastards! Where was that?

Couldn't you have raised an objection when they made the planning application?
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              You are fixating on equivalent rates of pay for the job but benefits make the difference up. Many of my friends work for near minimum wage yet could claim benefits and stop working whilst receiving much the same take home. The break even with benefits was earning about £7.50 an hour.

So someone on Benefits with housing and council tax paid for could easily be on more than someone on minimum wage.

They are not working they are training and the workfare should reflect that, I suggest a weekly attendance at college getting a relevant qualification e.g. 'NVQ in customer service'. Maybe those taking on workfare people should use them to support their staff doing training? e.g. 1 workfare does 1 day a week training and supports 4 other people on the other days so they can do training?

that way no jobs lost but a better trained workforce?
              That was the post war system - if you were training you received higher benefits.

In short the only system that would get rid of long term unemployment would be doing this. Unfortunately it can't be done on the cheap.

It was Nu Labour who got rid of experienced JSA staff by making them redundant and pensioning them off early as away of saving money. They had methods for working out who was swinging the lead, and I know quite a few people who benefited from their methods.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You'd probably agree equally qualified & experienced individuals should be paid the same, until their sex is considered in all
                Not unless they are equally willing to move to Basingstoke. You could have done that, or been content that you had a better quality of life in Edinburgh.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

It's this thinking that helped me seek work abroad.

I recall a peer whilst working in the UK, exact same qualification & experience, in fact same hiring manager when I was a permie many moons ago. The peer moved south I think Basingstoke and his salary went up for the exact same job I was performing near Edinburgh. I asked for an increase in the year that followed to match ex-peer, and was told no and "well scooter it's more expensive down there you see" I'm like "What the HELL has that got to do with my job? And the skills & qualification I bring?" I was livid, handed in my notice six weeks later. This happens across the country and we wonder why we have the south east running away with itself.

You'd probably agree equally qualified & experienced individuals should be paid the same, until their sex is considered in all.

It's all going to pot.
                  Well, Miss Styles considered voluntary work experience better than sitting on her arse all day waiting for a job to land in her lap. Which is really the point of this.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    Not unless they are equally willing to move to Basingstoke. You could have done that, or been content that you had a better quality of life in Edinburgh.
                    I sell my qualification & skills, that's what I should be paid for! My payment is nothing to do with where I live!! It's an utter outrage.

This is what I admire about Germany so much, I've conducted the same work through different cities and charged more or less the same rate.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                      Well, Miss Styles considered voluntary work experience better than sitting on her arse all day waiting for a job to land in her lap. Which is really the point of this.
                      Well done her. If only they were more like her.

The trouble is very few will volunteer. But taking the hammer approach is not the answer either.

Comment

Working...
                      X