• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Documentation advice please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

User manual if it's software.
    Glossary or appendices of code
    Few Visio of high level process flows

Two weeks worth of work. Kerchiing.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Ever used an IDEF0 flowchart? If so that's how you write it; key activities, inputs, resources, constraints, outputs. What they need is "If I want to do 'this', what buttons do I press in what order?". Don't worry about standard operational processes like Change Management (.." to implement this raise an RFC"...), if they don't know those they're lost anyway.

And make sure you leave your contact details behind...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
        I'm currently in the process of working out my notice period with a client. I've been requested to document certain processes with the request from a manager to document it in such a way that even he can understand it and carry out the activity.

I've only two weeks to get this done - where should I start?

Do I go for the whole "This is a computer" approach or would I be better off starting from Babbage and cataloging the history of computers from there.

I should also point out that I can use words of more than one syllable, as long as I provide a glossary.

Over to you all .....
        You will need two documents: one that he can understand; one that explains how to do the tasks.

Comment

Working...
        X