• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I wonder why ?: More Britons target foreign move

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan
    It's true, but then people also drive much closer in Europe and generally much more agressively. I think the overall standard of driving is much better in the UK, but lane discipline is a major issue. Perhaps we really are too polite? Hog the outside lane in France or Italy and you'll have someone in a knackered old car driving two feet behind, with one wheel on the grass verge indicating, flashing their lights and beeping their horn. Brits just queue up like lemmings.

Grass is always greener?
    Maybe some of you should learn the rules of the road for the country you are driving in instead of bleating about the locals.
    In some countrys in europe you are supposed to pull over and let faster cars pass you as soon as you can (not when you think you hve upset them enough).
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
      Opinions are worthless without evidence.
      I don´t think that's true.

Comment

I don't think everyone is escaping Britain because of the the roads.

Might be more to do with an impending sense of

Doom!

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
          Maybe some of you should learn the rules of the road for the country you are driving in instead of bleating about the locals.
          In some countrys in europe you are supposed to pull over and let faster cars pass you as soon as you can (not when you think you hve upset them enough).
          And what do you think the rules of the road say in the UK?
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

LG, so far as the "pull over and let faster cars pass you as soon as you can" the problem though is that in some countries it seems you're expected to pull over even when there's no space to pull over into.

In my experience the stats give a fare indication of driving in different countries, certainly here in Belgium where I see far more dangerous driving and general lack of concern for anyone, be that other road users or fellow passengers, any day of the week than I ever did in the UK.

Stats 2004

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
              And what do you think the rules of the road say in the UK?
              The middle and outside lanes are for overtaking only. Once you have passed the traffic you should pull over.

In Germany you should pull over into a suitable gap to let a faster car pass you then pull out again to continue with your over taking.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
                LG, so far as the "pull over and let faster cars pass you as soon as you can" the problem though is that in some countries it seems you're expected to pull over even when there's no space to pull over into.

In my experience the stats give a fare indication of driving in different countries, certainly here in Belgium where I see far more dangerous driving and general lack of concern for anyone, be that other road users or fellow passengers, any day of the week than I ever did in the UK.

Stats 2004
                Worked in Brussels for 12 months traffic scared the willies out of me.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Bet you loved the whole "Priorite a Droit" thing as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
                    Bet you loved the whole "Priorite a Droit" thing as well.

Used to that from Germany. Built up areas have the same. Main roads have a big yellow diamond showing priority.
                    I actualy didnt drive much in Brussels. Local transport was up to the job so I left my car at home. Watching from the bus was bad enough.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                      Worked in Brussels for 12 months traffic scared the willies out of me.
                      I saw an upside down BMW on the Brussels Ring Road about 7am a few weeks back.

Another one of those grass is greener things is people saying how terrrible British roads are because of low standards/under investment/British workers don't care etc. But actually, try Belgium.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X