• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kissing in the office

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    I enjoy reading about cultures, so tend to try and find out what I should expect on getting to a country. If a furher turns up here, of whom I have no idea of his/her provenance, I follow their lead.
    I bet you do. :nazi:
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

And what is the problem exactly?!?!?

Comment

Generally, if someone tries to invade my Space, I treat it as a physical attack and respond with a punch in the throat or a kick in the nut sack.
        Respect THIS <nut>
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          Generally, if someone tries to invade my Space, I treat it as a physical attack and respond with a punch in the throat or a kick in the nut sack.
          Respect THIS <nut>
          And how is Mrs EO's black eye?
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            ...I tend to just wait until they make their move first, if they stick their hand out then great, if they move in then offer a cheek up.... oh yeah, and don't forget some people do one cheek, some do both... Jesus...
            The Swiss do three kisses - left, right, left.
            Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Continental colleagues visiting. Lots of air kissing all round. What's wrong with a good old fashioned handshake?
            Still, a handshake is unwanted physical contact. I've explained to my colleagues, that being British, I have a personal space that extends several miles (km), and that, in fact, I find it quite uncomfortable being in the same country as them.

(I now await the inevitable abuse...)
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              And how is Mrs EO's black eye?

Spooky. She does have a black eye. We were walking down the street on hols, and she walked smack bang into some traffic lights. All the birds in the shops and stuff are giving me the evils
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                It's a tough one this. I have worked with many countries in Europe and the MEA over the last 3 years and it is a minefield trying to decide what to do when meeting colleagues, particularly when dealing with countries that have a strong culture and respect is key like Middle Eastern ones.

Knowing who to kiss on the cheek which is the norm in Algeria/Morocco and very offensive to ladies from Egypt, and who to shake hands with is an utter nightmare.

I tend to just wait until they make their move first, if they stick their hand out then great, if they move in then offer a cheek up.... oh yeah, and don't forget some people do one cheek, some do both... Jesus...
                You seemed pretty sure of the etiquette when that Tunisian chemical tanker came into port last week.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  The Swiss do three kisses - left, right, left.
                  Still, a handshake is unwanted physical contact. I've explained to my colleagues, that being British, I have a personal space that extends several miles (km), and that, in fact, I find it quite uncomfortable being in the same country as them.
                  Exactly. The English Channel is there for a reason.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    I bet you do. :nazi:
                    Um, Fuhrer. Or strictly, Fuehre

Comment

Working...
                    X