• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Canceling a Contract ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My contract says 1 month notice (now I've passed 3 months), but I've always assumed it's unworkable. For instance, in theory they can say one day "we don't need you tomorrow", and I only claim for 4 days that week, which is part of being a contractor. If they give me my month's notice, then what's to stop them saying they don't need me for any of those days and paying me zero? I'm still on the books as a contractor, just working 0 days per week.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

This is exactly the con the clients and agencies are doing.
      My contract used to have a clause saying 4 weeks and then elsewhere quite a few clauses away it had another stating, that if I did not work the hours I could not bill.

So, the client could say “bye bye here is your 4 weeks notice” and then demand I do not come into work. Then with no hours done, I am unable to bill the agency. Thus in affect your contract has ended immediately. But it's worse than that, as you cannot get another contract for 4 weeks (well legally anyway). So, your trapped in case they do need you back for maybe the last week to do some documentation or whatever.

Now my contract has a 7-day notice and I do not care. That’s because I know its all pointless anyway with the no hours no billing clause. You will find most clients can heave ho you off site, with no compensation anyway. As most contracts are like that with agencies. The best way is to have no agency as we know. But with all these companies having PSL's that’s like almost impossible.

Anyone got a blue chip JAVA contract on the go in the London area with no agency involved?

No? I thought not. I will stay where I am and keep dreaming!

Comment

Working...
      X