• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

OOP, RDBMS and BTEC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a degree get's you to think differently, I also think it's a priceless ground for growing up, making friends and regardless what you think, if you don't have one, your CV will not make it to the final step, as companies will always use it to filter, regardless. You might be the best there is, but if you don't make it to the face to face, it's useless.

I have been saving money for my kids since their birth for Uni. By then, I think the chaff will not be studying anyway.

I think it's a must have, I really do.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
      I think a degree get's you to think differently, I also think it's a priceless ground for growing up, making friends and regardless what you think, if you don't have one, your CV will not make it to the final step, as companies will always use it to filter, regardless. You might be the best there is, but if you don't make it to the face to face, it's useless.

I have been saving money for my kids since their birth for Uni. By then, I think the chaff will not be studying anyway.

I think it's a must have, I really do.
      See my last point about graddies joining the company fast track scheme only to be there 10 years on... If thats thinking differently then thanks for clearing so many suckers out my way. I like Warren Buffets view on things: If you want to make Money then you need to do what the other 99% are not

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
        I went to Oxbridge and never did any of that
        I must say that surprises me. What did you read, English?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
          See my last point about graddies joining the company fast track scheme only to be there 10 years on... If thats thinking differently then thanks for clearing so many suckers out my way. I like Warren Buffets view on things: If you want to make Money then you need to do what the other 99% are not
          I didn't. I did what I needed to do at an industry leading company, in my area, then went contracting. Some stay, some don't. That's not dependent on being at Uni, it's dependent on who you are as a person, so your point is largely irrelevant.

Buffet actually said, the key to making money is to be scared when people are confident, and confident when they're scared; it's just simple advice for get off the carousel when everyone's trying to get on, and get back on when everyone is jumping off.

Comment

University for me was about leaving home too. It was also the first time I had ever met people who were not lower middle class or below. There were lords in my college and 80% of students came from private schools. Now, I work with such people. My school peers have never even encountered such people and view them cynically. I am better off.

Getting a decent education is the best start you can get.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              I must say that surprises me. What did you read, English?
              Natural Sciences for the first two years, then Electrical and Information Sciences.

You know I was quite intelligent when I went there.

Think it all went downhill when I joined up to this board...

Looking back, it surprises me too

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                Natural Sciences for the first two years, then Electrical and Information Sciences.

You know I was quite intelligent when I went there.

Think it all went downhill when I joined up to this board...

Looking back, it surprises me too
                Did you have a period of taking drugs or alcohol?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Did you have a period of taking drugs or alcohol?
                  Alcohol yes. But no more than any of the other students..

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
                    University for me was about leaving home too. It was also the first time I had ever met people who were not lower middle class or below. There were lords in my college and 80% of students came from private schools. Now, I work with such people. My school peers have never even encountered such people and view them cynically. I am better off.

Getting a decent education is the best start you can get.
                    Thats not the education you are rating thats the contacts you get. The old boys network and prejudice towards and against certain colleges and schools is alive and well.

Meritocracy is aint.

Comment

Working...
                    X