• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This Egypt Business

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zoco View Post
    Hundreds of supporters of the legitimate, democratically elected government slaughtered by a military junta that seized power in a coup.

This is a massive deal - another Tiananmen Square - yet in some papers it's barely made the front page.

What is going on? Is it because certain sections of the media were cheerleaders for the so called Arab Spring and now the awful reality of the situation has dawned on them they kind of want to sweep it under the carpet?
    The military in Egypt have always had the power. They booted the old regime out in the Arab Spring, then they watched and waited. They saw what democracy threw up , waited a bit, then decided they didnt like it, so they took over again.

IMO they will stick at it till they get the democracy they want. which is a western style set-up. And that probbably explains why people over here are slow to criticise them.

BTW, if I were in the Egyptian military, I would probably support their line. I can see their problem and their aim.
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Hitler's popular vote was 43.91% [1], which is just over Bliar's result in 1997 which was 43.2% [2].

Sources:

[1] German federal election, March 1933 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      [2] United Kingdom general election, 1997 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      ISTR reading Germany had PR at the time but at the moment I've not idea what that proves! They only got 30% of the seats tho....

Comment

One problem is that in those countries many people think that democracy is getting majority vote that can force their views on minorities.

In those countries way too often democratically elected leaders took full power and did not give a tulip about democracy afterwards.

Perhaps that should be the duty of any army - make sure no such thing can happen in order to upheld democracy.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          I've not idea what that proves!
          Very popular politicians are very dangerous to the countries where they get elected, especially to those who did not vote for them.

Comment

One problem is that in those countries many people think that democracy is getting majority vote that can force their views on minorities.

In those countries way too often democratically elected leaders took full power and did not give a tulip about democracy afterwards.

Perhaps that should be the duty of any army - make sure no such thing can happen in order to upheld democracy.
            IMHO- what the Egyptian army about is to further Westernise their country. They took advantage of the earlier protests, and now they will suppress these ones.
            They got their @rses kicked up and down the nile by a tiny western army and they have been learning and modernising ever since.
            They are considered to be a major Non Nato ally of Nato. They want to be in Nato and a major player in N.Africa, (all of Africa probbly)
            this is all IMHO

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              They are considered to be a major Non Nato ally of Nato. They want to be in Nato and a major player in N.Africa, (all of Africa probbly)
              They need to be like Turkey in this respect and that's what I think they are doing.

Comment

They need to be like Turkey in this respect and that's what I think they are doing.
                Turkey are in Nato.

I think Egypt would be an interesting candidate. It would be funny if hundreds of people were not being killed
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  Turkey are in Nato.
                  In Turkey the Army would kick out democratically elected PM if he crosses certain lines.

That should really be the job for the Army - can't get leader elected, but can kick out, by force if necessary to get new elections going.

Comment

Well, this is exactly what happened in Algeria and look at the state of that country now.

Comment

In Turkey the Army would kick out democratically elected PM if he crosses certain lines.

That should really be the job for the Army - can't get leader elected, but can kick out, by force if necessary to get new elections going.

In the west, it is considered bad form for the army to get involved.

better for every citizen to get ripped off by the crooks, than to see a soldier on the streets. The military will only get involved if ordered by the government

on balance, despite being a great fan of the military, I think this is the correct approach
                      (\__/)
                      (>'.'<)

Comment

Working...
                      X