• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Zero hours contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    So do you think that the onus should be on the State to ensure that people are better educated and to take them out of the poverty 'trap' rather than on the individual?
    The onus should be on the government to create jobs at all levels.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      So do you think that the onus should be on the State to ensure that people are better educated and to take them out of the poverty 'trap' rather than on the individual?
      Well that needs a much longer answer than makes sense in a forum like this.

I think people who have had a decent basic education should take responsibility for themselves as much as possible. People who have not had that need more protection.

I think we spend more than enough on state education to provide everyone here with a decent basic education, but I observe that for even bright clever kids in some of our sink schools they just dont get that decent basic education. I would be locking up some of the teachers and education authority staff for gross failure...

Comment

Zero hours contracts should be fine IF there is a hefty retainer + much higher than usual hourly rate.

In most cases however I reckon retainer is 0 and hourly rate is minimum wage.

And that's the solution to this problem - legal requirement to have much higher minimum wage for such contracts plus retainer. If business wants flexibility it should expect to PAY for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
          No, apperntly we don't all have a choice(because if there was one my neighbour wouldn't be paying to not work). As I pointed out earlier this 'flexibility' is all one way. It sounds great being able to pick and choose when you work but it doesn't work that way in practice. So, you turn up for a shift and your employer says 'sorry no work'. Fine - it's in your contract. You fail to turn up for a shift and it's a disciplinary offence. I've seen the contract and I couldn't believe it. It's tulip
          Now all that it OK for us because we can charge a decent sum when we do work and put money aside for the lean times. It's a little more tricky to do that on £6.19 per hour.

PS don't get me started on the tax credits subsidy for these sharks.
          You do have a choice. the fact that you have chosen to work in the world of zero hour contracts is a choice in itself.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
            It is similar to contracting in one way. The employer/client shifts all the risk onto the worker, so that they're not committed to a long term employment contract and the costs that go with that. The difference is that the employee isn't compensated for taking the risk, like we are.
            Since when have contractors taken any responsibility/ carried any risk for work that they do?
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              Since when have contractors taken any responsibility/ carried any risk for work that they do?
              Maybe you should stop hiring cowboys Dodgy

Comment

Realise how lucky we are sometimes when there are people who have to work like this to put food on the table.

Cant believe its all legal....

IMHO, even with the sort of work we all do, if employer/client can take the piss they quite often will. Must be 1000% worse for minimum wage.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                  Well that needs a much longer answer than makes sense in a forum like this.

I think people who have had a decent basic education should take responsibility for themselves as much as possible. People who have not had that need more protection.

I think we spend more than enough on state education to provide everyone here with a decent basic education, but I observe that for even bright clever kids in some of our sink schools they just dont get that decent basic education. I would be locking up some of the teachers and education authority staff for gross failure...
                  We do not need to spend more on state education we need to spend better. And why should a decent education be available just for bright kids?

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    You do have a choice. the fact that you have chosen to work in the world of zero hour contracts is a choice in itself.
                    Isn't it better than going on the dole?

I am sure you think the country is full of work shysters - but the number of zwero hour contracts proves otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Isn't it better than going on the dole?

I am sure you think the country is full of work shysters - but the number of zwero hour contracts proves otherwise.
                      It is still a choice .. as I said on another post the world is crying out for overhead linemen. My points are nothing to do with whether people are work shy or not, it is to do with freedom between parties to do business. Whilst I believe the state should restrict/control worker/employer relationships zero hour contracts is not one of them.

Comment

Working...
                      X