• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Examples of Management idiocy, part 1

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    In many cases, that's right. In this case however, they already have trains, built for them by engineers and driven by highly trained drivers.
    So do the Spanish...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      So do the Spanish...
      Do you somehow think a manager could have prevented that crash?
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

BBC News - Netherlands train crash: Scores injured in Amsterdam

Comment

Do you somehow think a manager could have prevented that crash?
          Of course there are other factors but a good manager wouldn't be discussing routing queries on the phone with a working train driver. So was the root cause the driver turning off the speed alarm (allegedly), the fact that he could, the fact that he was distracted by an irrelevant activity at a key time or the fact that he didn't tell his manager to bugger off until he could talk safely?
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

When I managed a team I considered my job to be do what I needed to do so that they could do their job well and keep them as happy as I could whilst doing it.

Sometimes I had to step in and make an unpopular decision but that was my job too because I was monitoring things to make sure that everything was helping with the big picture.
            Every week or so I had a meeting with the powers to keep them up to date.

I was able to do it whilst also doing the techie bits, I am not sure what full time managers do all day.
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

The train at one of my local stations continually departs before the tables time, ******* annoying as you will agree.

I decided to complain every time this happened and each time they would write a reply back "sorry, we will bring this up and the next monthly managerial meeting"

Could they not just line the culprits up ( I provided the times and dates ) and tell them to pull the finger out?

It is what I see all the time in all manner of clients, managers rarely add that much value, they just talk tulipe amongst themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                I could easily reverse the question: why life would be easier without non-managers trying to second guess management.

Go do the job, then criticise. Meanwhile, do what you're paid to do. It's much easier.
                Quite right. I'd never dream of criticising anyone in management.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  I'm sure the slaves building the colosseum thought they could do better job if they were in charge.
                  Nothing to do with being in charge. I'll wage the person in charge didn't design the thing, just did the whip cracking. No skill in that at all.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    You claim to have management experience but you don't sound like it.
                    Good! Maybe that's why I got things done!
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

DutchNews.nl - Alpha, bravo makes Dutch railways unsafe

Feel free to add your own examples.

I may someday collate them in a book called 'Why the world would be better off without managers'.
                      Are there too many managers?

Yes. Yes there are.

Comment

Working...
                      X