• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salary / 1000 gives an hourly rate. (Does it?)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Angrybunny View Post
    Point taken but the calculation still looks miles out.
    if I was on the beach for two months (which I'd say is pretty unlikely in my field of work) the difference between the figures would still be £15,000.
    You are correct. The /1000 calculation is one of the dumbest pieces of advice that keeps getting discussed.

Use the calculator you have but work on 38 or 40 weeks to do the calculation and include / exclude expenses.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Angrybunny View Post
      I've read you can get a 'rough' comparison of perm to contract with Salary / 1000.

So if someone was earning about 50 k a year.
      Their equivalent daily rate would work out at £400 a day (based on a 8 hour day).

When I compare the net incomes I get a very different result though.

Perm
      Yearly Gross £50,000
      Yearly Net £35,963
      Pension £2,500
      bonus £2,000
      Healthcare £1,000
      Net Year £41,463.36

Contracting:
      Day £400.00
      Days Per Year 220
      Yearly Gross £88,000.00
      Gross Month £7,333.33

Net Month £5,500 (based on 75% take home - working outside of IR35)
      Net Year £66,000

So this 'rough' calculation looks miles out, with nearly a 25 k difference.
      Am I missing something?
      It's nothing to do with ending up with the same net income. The rule of thumb is that if you would be on a permanent salary of £x,000 a year, you should be aiming for contracts that pay £x per hour. If your contract rate only gets you the same net as your permanent salary then it's not worth it, ditch the contract and go permanent. For most people however, they can earn more by contracting. The rewards are higher but the risks are greater.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
        It's nothing to do with ending up with the same net income. The rule of thumb is that if you would be on a permanent salary of £x,000 a year, you should be aiming for contracts that pay £x per hour...
        That was the 'something' I was missing. Thanks.

Comment

FFS, chaps...

It's not meant to be a standard answer, it's basically an simple indicator for dumb permies to get an idea of the appropriate rate to aim for to get the same net pay as their permie role at the end of the month, allowing for the long list of variables that permies don't have to pay for. It's only a starting point, of course it's not going to give yuo an accurate answer.

That list includes but is not limited to:
          Corporation Tax
          Paid holidays
          Bank Holidays
          SSP
          Employers NICs
          Pension funding
          Training
          Accountancy/Umbrella
          PI/PLI/ELI Insurance
          PCG memberhsip or equivalent insurances
          Contract reviews
          Bench time
          Travel and accomodation expenses
          Notice periods
          Redundancy pay
          etc....

IF you want an accurate answer then do the sums yourself. If you want an initial guesstimate, use the rule. And of course we earn more, we're very good at what we do or we wouldn't succeed as contractors in the first place.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

In contracting, I never rely on more than a week ahead. Cameron has lubricated his arse for the Indian IT industry so unless you have a truly niche skills, your days are numbered
            WHS on this.

Camoron = Indian arse licking

Comment

Working...
            X