• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Ashes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As an occasional cricket watcher, can anyone explain why it was a smart move NOT to do the follow-on?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      As an occasional cricket watcher, can anyone explain why it was a smart move NOT to do the follow-on?
      1. Give England bowlers a rest
      2. The pitch tends to deteriorate with time
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        1. Give England bowlers a rest
        2. The pitch tends to deteriorate with time
        3. Australia's only chance to win the match was to bat again with something to prove and have someone score a lot of runs.

When we enforced the follow-on at Trent Bridge in 2005, we almost blew it (although we were hampered by Simon Jones being injured and off the field when they discussed whether to enforce the follow-on or not)
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I explained this about five posts back.

Am I on your ignore list?

Comment

Why do the players need batting practice, they only played yesterday!

Comment

Well the first two do obviously.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

So everybody's crap now. Should've followed on...

Comment

So everybody's crap now. Should've followed on...
                  Three down.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

This pitch looks like being good with the new ball, then it flattens out again. Seems that the ball is not reversing until late as well, so the match has had a pattern of losing early wickets, then flattening out and being easier to score runs, then reverse comes into it, which makes batting trickier again.

We're making Australia look tulipe, even when we're not playing well. Hopefully, the sun will burn off any chance of swing before they start. If we don't lose wickets early, I actually think we could go through the session, and into the afternoon wicketless. If we can score 200+, then I feel sorry for whoever bought tickets for Monday, maybe even sorry for the ones who bought them on Sunday.

I'd say it was sad for cricket, that a once proud cricketing nation are playing so badly, but it's Australia, so I don't give a tulip. Rub their noses in the dirt I say.

Comment

They don't need practice you turd, the bowlers need resting. Believe it or not, bowling 15 overs in 30+ heat is acutely hard work. We also had long spells in the field last test, so it's a case of managing the bowlers. Remember, these two tests are back to back, then there's a break, then the next two are back to back, then a break, then the Oval; we need ot ensure we have the A team fit at all times.

Good to see Anderson getting some rest too, for he didn't bowl much and proves we're not a one bowler team. Magic performance today.

Comment

Working...
                      X