• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Murray deserves knighthood

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Swimming (and I believe angling) are the most popular sports by participation.

According to Sport England tennis comes in 7th. Lots of people watch Wimbledon but not many people actually play.
    I'm not sure that's fair comment. Most people who participate in angling and particularly swimming are not competing against anyone, whereas tennis players are.

Taking another example to illustrate the point, nearly everyone participates in walking, but only a tiny minority actually compete at it.

So the pool of competitive swimmers or anglers that countries have to draw on isn't the millions who might do it, but a far smaller number.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      I'm not sure that's fair comment. Most people who participate in angling and particularly swimming are not competing against anyone, whereas tennis players are.

Taking another example to illustrate the point, nearly everyone participates in walking, but only a tiny minority actually compete at it.

So the pool of competitive swimmers or anglers that countries have to draw on isn't the millions who might do it, but a far smaller number.
      Agreed, but most people who play tennis aren't competing, in the sense of participating in organised competitions, either. If that's going to be a yardstick then darts or pool are both likely to be ahead of tennis.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Cretinous POTD

Top 10 Most Popular Sports in the World | Click Top 10

Suck on that dick head
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          The Olympics defines "sailing" as the sport, not "laser sailing", and changes the classes raced from time to time. He won medals in both the Laser and Finn class actually he gave up Lasers years ago), but weirdly those are not considered separate events.
          Stop splitting hairs you pedantic moron. He competes in a minority section of a "sport" that, even being generous, is only done by a tiny minority of the populace of even the more developed nations, and is actively competed for by only a tiny subset of that small group.
          It is clearly an activity that you have been involved in, and as is so often the case with you, it has clouded what passes for judgment in that dormant organ of a brain.
          However, the fact that you may have stood, doubtless open-mouthed and perplexed, in a room brimfull of pretentious jack-tar types, does not make it an activity that is enjoyed by significant numbers.
          The overwhelming majority of the world's population would not know what class of racing sailboat they were sitting in if they were pulled aboard one from within the jaws of a great white shark.
          But you can bet your arse that the majority of them would have heard of, and even played, Tennis.
          Them's the facts.

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Maybe it'd be better if you just came and and said what you actually are thinking, which is that since a Scot has won something he is clearly more important than the hundreds of English people who win things every year...
          If you want to re-read my original post, I clearly stated that I don't think he should be given a Knighthood until it becomes clear just what he may have achieved by the time his career is over.
          If you wish to conclude from that that somehow I am being racist, then go right ahead. You are already way beyond the point at which most people take you seriously anyway. How much worse can you make things?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            That's based on "viewership" whatever that is. Relatively few people actually play most of the sports on that list.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Among the most famous players of football are Rinaldo, Rooney and so on.
              That Rinaldo's a cracking player, and I hear Real Madrid are on the verge of signing So On too

Comment

Agreed, but most people who play tennis aren't competing, in the sense of participating in organised competitions, either.
                In that sense no, but they are still competing with each other.

If that's going to be a yardstick then darts or pool are both likely to be ahead of tennis.
                That's probably true. Personally I find it difficult to consider them as sports, but some do.

However I'm not on one side or the other regarding the popularity of tennis. Enough people play it to make it a big sport, wherever it ranks.

Comment

Sums it all up (sports Knighthoods, that is)
                  Growing old is mandatory
                  Growing up is optional

Comment

Working...
                  X