• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying land (in the UK)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Pigeons are incredibly easy to eat as well. Pop a .22 into them, and then as they're on the floor, literally use your thumbs to pull their chest apart, the skin and feathers tear, part and then you just whip out their breasts with a leatherman. No messy entrails or anything. Taste great too. Well, not too sure about those flying rats in Trafalgar Square, but out in the sticks they do.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Fry the breasts for about half a minute each side (less for really small ones) so they're still pink on the inside and serve with fresh lettuce with vinaigrette; perhaps chuck some beetroot in the vinaigrette when you make it so that will infuse in the sauce.

Wood pigeon breast is delicious. You need to get out to the country more AtW and discover these delights.

I've got a recipe for squirrel too if you like.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post

PS: I'm not MF.
        And neithers my wife.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Fry the breasts for about half a minute each side (less for really small ones) so they're still pink on the inside and serve with fresh lettuce with vinaigrette; perhaps chuck some beetroot in the vinaigrette when you make it so that will infuse in the sauce.

Wood pigeon breast is delicious. You need to get out to the country more AtW and discover these delights.

I've got a recipe for squirrel too if you like.
          Wood pigeon is properly nice. Can over cook easily though, as you say. I like to flatten them out, and put some porcini mushrooms inside, then roll up to make a roulade of them. Then roll them about in some hot butter to seal, 10 mins at 180 and they're delightful with a bit of red wine jus.

Better still, simply the price of a bullet/pellet. Shotguns make too much mess, and anything bigger bore is just overkill.

Comment

Good agricultural land costs about £12k an acre, although I read in an article this weekend, that lots of people are investing in agricultural land, and they expect it to go up to about £20k an acre by 2020. Might be an idea to chuck in 100k into it.

You can buy land, with a bit of a wooded area, on hills, etc, for around £5k an acre, but for Good land, flat, irrigated, good drainage, easy access, etc, 12k is about where it's at.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
              Wood pigeon is properly nice. Can over cook easily though, as you say. I like to flatten them out, and put some porcini mushrooms inside, then roll up to make a roulade of them. Then roll them about in some hot butter to seal, 10 mins at 180 and they're delightful with a bit of red wine jus.

Better still, simply the price of a bullet/pellet. Shotguns make too much mess, and anything bigger bore is just overkill.

Had my first go at clay pigeon shooting over the weekend. Good fun that.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Had my first go at clay pigeon shooting over the weekend. Good fun that.
                We did this at my stag, and yes, a lot of fun it is. Best do it on the first morning though, not the second

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post

...I just want to hunt because it's my instinct as a man (even since childhood). We're hunter-gatherers.

PS: I'm not MF.
                  And then you tell us you didn't get your leg over until you were in your twenties :

Comment

You could look after/maintain some land that isn't being looked after and after 12 years it's yours.

Google Adverse Possession.

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                    X