• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WWYD?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    But have you taken your wife with you?
    I've managed to avoid marriage as well.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      I think you're now being contrary for the sake of it. Small claims court is the standard means of recovering debts such as these and rarely makes an order as to costs, so it doesn't matter how expensive their lawyer is as you don't have to pay for them. Judges also frown on people who don't pay their bills...
      Just to point out, what starts as a small claim can end up being allocated to the multi or fast track at the discretion of the Judiciary. Multi and fast track claims do not have the same restrictions on payment of costs if you lose or any counterclaim is found to have merit. Otherwise, you sound like you are on the right track.

But did you get a credit report on the dodgy agency recently or before you began the engagement? If they already have half a dozen CCJs another is unlikely to make much difference...
      Last edited by Safe Collections; 27 June 2013, 12:50.
      The only debt collection & credit control company recommended by Contractor UK.

Read our articles on ContractorUK here and get in touch here.

Comment

Originally posted by Safe Collections View Post
        But did you get a credit report on the dodgy agency recently or before you began the engagement? If they already have half a dozen CCJs another is unlikely to make much difference...
        FTFY
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Just to point out, what starts as a small claim can end up being allocated to the multi or fast track at the discretion of the Judiciary. Multi and fast track claims do not have the same restrictions on payment of costs if you lose or any counterclaim is found to have merit. Otherwise, you sound like you are on the right track.

But did you get a credit report on the dodgy agency recently or before you began the engagement? If they already have half a dozen CCJs another is likely to make much difference...
          Oddly enough, no, because I've dealt with them before, and I was more worried about client co than the agency.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            FTFY
            Cheers

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Oddly enough, no, because I've dealt with them before, and I was more worried about client co than the agency.
            It's definitely worth considering, if you just want to check for CCJs feel free to PM the name and we will have a quick look. No charge

Comment

Cheers

It's definitely worth considering, if you just want to check for CCJs feel free to PM the name and we will have a quick look. No charge
              Out of curiosity how much does it cost to check a companies credit worthiness? I assume you would probably get a bulk discount, is there any company you can recommend?
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Out of curiosity how much does it cost to check a companies credit worthiness? I assume you would probably get a bulk discount, is there any company you can recommend?
                PCG have a discount with someone, I think.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  For a small business contract with Experian or someone similar you would expect to pay around £300-400 per year, but for most contractors we imagine this would be massive overkill as you are unlikely to conduct enough reports for it to be cost effective.

For one off reports we would recommend the Experian Business Check service. Full report including payment data, CCJ records etc is £17.99.

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  PCG have a discount with someone, I think.

They do, but personally we wouldn't use that provider...

Comment

For a small business contract with Experian or someone similar you would expect to pay around £300-400 per year, but for most contractors we imagine this would be massive overkill as you are unlikely to conduct enough reports for it to be cost effective.

For one off reports we would recommend the Experian Business Check service. Full report including payment data, CCJ records etc is £17.99.

They do, but personally we wouldn't use that provider...
                    Thanks, so far we have been lucky with agencies, mostly used "big" ones with a bit of a reputation but I know even they can fail, but at that price 2-3 times a year its a no brainer to check
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
                      Maybe in the past but my own recent personal experience would show this to no longer be the case. I was also advised by a barrister and recorder (a part time judge) that emails hold as much weight as a letter. I don't buy the whole not receiving part, obviously you ask for a reply in 14 days which shows they received the email.

Incidentally I have just spent 5 days chasing a special delivery parcel that went missing with no signature so if you think mail is bullet proof you should think again.
                      Email as court evidence

E-mail is a form of documentary evidence and can be admitted as evidence in court in the same way as can other forms of documentary evidence. However, as with other forms of evidence, the reliability of e-mail evidence will be subject to scrutiny. This can be a particular issue in the context of e-mail or other electronic evidence, since measures which may protect the integrity and/or authenticity of electronic evidence (such as the use of digital signatures or other forms of encryption) are not always used. As a result, the reliability of e-mail as evidence may be subject to attack.

My last experience with emails as evidence was last year. The opposition’s solicitor was a compulsive liar and denied receiving emails. The judge had to accept her version because solicitors are classed as ‘officers of the court’ It was plain that she lied in court. Cases often end up like Alice in Wonderland with no logic whatsoever and with contradictions of previous judges.
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X