• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wisdom from unexpected sources

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Come on, positive rep for anyone who can find a sensible comment by Ed Balls!
    Ed Balls Quotes - BrainyQuote

I would love to go on 'MasterChef'. But while I really like cooking, I'm doubtful anyone would ever want to pay for what I'd cooked.

Not sure about this though;
    We have come to the edge of the abyss and now it is time for a bold step forward.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      I have to say that, after extensive research, I have never found anything remotely sensible said by Ed Balls. Come on, positive rep for anyone who can find a sensible comment by Ed Balls!
      Was having a quiet fag outside clientco in a side street in the West End of London four years ago, when who should I spy on the other side of the road than a grumpy and flustered looking Ed Balls pacing up and down.

He was on a mobile phone, evidently trying to contact his oppo to summon his ministerial limo, and I clearly heard him say "Where am I? I'm here."

How useful that was to the driver, possibly not knowing where "here" was, is debatable. But as a philosophical statement of his existence, in the "wherever you go, there you are" sense, it couldn't be faulted.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        What's wrong with summary execution?
        too quick!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          That's not smart, it's Toynbee being her usual economically illiterate self. It's not about cheap nannies and other low-skill trades (like plumbing...??), it's about the cost to social support (schools, housing, health care...) and St Vince of Cable's determination to drive our best industries offshore.
          The main cost of mass immigration is not economic. It's the damage to the cohesion of the national community, the creation of parallel societies and the division of society into sects and communities.

Take the US of the 1950s, an united country with a common purpose, and take the US of 2013, a country divided into communities (white, Latino, Afro) that want completely different things for the country.

Comment

Very strange one last night. Got a bus from Dublin Airport to Belfast in the small hours. Presumed that there would be pretty much no one on it. Rather surprised to find approximately 40 Romanians (or at least I presume they were) of all ages joining me. Asked the bus driver if it was normally this busy. He basically told be this was a quiet one. Last week there was a scrum to get on the bus as there were too few seat for the number of passengers. Welcome to backdoor entry to the UK.
            Last edited by The_Equalizer; 24 June 2013, 13:28.

Comment

Originally posted by KaiserWilly View Post
              Take the US of the 1950s, an united country with a common purpose

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

*I see Thatcher in new light after hearing an R4 program about her a few weeks back, the gist was she was happy to make people fabulously wealthy because she believed the wealth would trickle down, her great failing was to underestimate just how greedy and selfish people would become.

There was an interview with BJ a few months back where he said much the same thing about the super rich of today, whereas the rich of old used to be philanthropists building universities and hospitals in the countries they lived and worked, today they just float around the globe ignoring borders and the taxes that come with residency.

*Could be bulltulip.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  *I see Thatcher in new light after hearing an R4 program about her a few weeks back, the gist was she was happy to make people fabulously wealthy because she believed the wealth would trickle down, her great failing was to underestimate just how greedy and selfish people would become.
                  There was an interview with BJ a few months back where he said much the same thing about the super rich of today, whereas the rich of old used to be philanthropists building universities and hospitals in the countries they lived and worked, today they just float around the globe ignoring borders and the taxes that come with residency.

*Could be bulltulip.
                  as far as I am aware that is true - she was a greengrocers daughter and felt that if she could rise from humble beginings to be PM then everyone should also have that chance - this was her main ethos behind the whole greed is good thing - but she was raised as a methodist and as you say she really was not prepared for the arrogant selfish dicks her time in office created.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                    Very strange one last night. Got a bus from Dublin Airport to Belfast in the small hours. Presumed that there would be pretty much no one on it. Rather surprised to find approximately 40 Romanians (or at least I presume they were) of all ages joining me. Asked the bus driver if it was normally this busy. He basically told be this was a quiet one. Last week there was a scrum to get on the bus as there were too few seat for the number of passengers. Welcome to backdoor entry to the UK.
                    I wonder how they got through Irish republic border control?

Comment

Working...
                    X