• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cyclists again!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I was going to suggest some hand sewn tubulars but you probably need some steel belted radials.

You should be able to get some slicks or near slicks that fit your wheels. Pump them up good and hard. At speed aerodynamics is a bigger factor, that is where road bikes have a great advantage due to the riders position which reduces frontal area a lot compared to the upright posture of an off road bike.

Uphill weight matters more. Try eating less.
    WHS - it's the spare tyre that you need to get rid of.

Comment

Weights king, and rolling resistance. When I use the MTB on road, I pump the tyres up to 50psi, which makes it an awful lot easier to cycle. However, the bike will also weigh an awful lot. On the flat, you can pump out, easily, 20-25 mph with a good road bike, but a MTB will struggle at between 15-18, no matter who is riding it.

In my bike club, I am the largest at around 80-85 kilos, and you can see it on the climbs. Losing weight will always help you.

Comment

Why not do some offroad riding? There's some great routes through the woods and common near you, and it gives a much better workout for the distance covered. I did a 12 mile offroad last Sunday - was much more knackered than the 30 on road the week before.

Comment

Just cycled two hours with the speed skater I met last weekend and one of his team mates. I am now completely and utterly knackered to the point of falling over. Stupidly agreed to meet up again next Saturday morning to ride a few hills seeing as they're happy to have an extra man who can keep up .

Will now go the pub and eat a couple of bowls of pasta.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Just cycled two hours with the speed skater I met last weekend and one of his team mates. I am now completely and utterly knackered to the point of falling over. Stupidly agreed to meet up again next Saturday morning to ride a few hills seeing as they're happy to have an extra man who can keep up .

Did an hour across the levels just now, with a bit of a hooley shouting across the way. Now safely ensconced with a glass of wine, legs quite stiff.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

And what part of Holland would that be?

Mmm, pasta:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                And what part of Holland would that be?
                Heuvels fietsen op de Overijsselse Heuvelrug: Grote Koningsbelt, Holterberg, Lemelerberg, Eelenberg, Noetselerberg, Hellendoornse Berg
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I ran that page through google translate. Zwaarte (kip) translates to Gravity (chicken).

Comment

Well yeah, for Holland they would count
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X