• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Greece beaten by Japan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greece beaten by Japan

Japan beat Japan

Puts their Euro 2004 victory into perspective. I still reckon that was a fluke >:

Less a fluke ...

... than a triumph of organisation and planning for a team that was greater than the sum of its parts. Of course it won't be repeated.
    Our overpaid star-studded players could learn a lesson or two from Greece's approach, though.

Comment

Re: Less a fluke ...

Greece's approach
      The use of performance enhancing drugs (allegedly)

Comment

don't think so

planet,

I don't think a drug yet exists that allows you to become a better footballer or score goals. It was obvious watching Greece that they were well drilled and tactically disciplined. They reminded me of the German teams of old - perhaps we should hire a German coach and not a Swedish one?

Comment

Re: don't think so

So why do they perform drugs tests on footballers?

Comment

I guess ...

you can use drugs to enhance stamina on the pitch. And the use of drugs may allow you to win a game or two, especially if it goes to extra time. But I don't think it's going to allow you to win tournaments.

Comment

Re: I guess ...

reminded me of the German teams of old
              I think that’s a little harsh on the Germans. Sure, they had strong organisation and discipline, but they also had talented individuals. The likes of Effenberg, Moller, Litbarski and Hassler (to name but a few) all possessed good technique and flair. Admittedly, recent German teams have been truly shocking, but historically they have been extremely strong.
              Greece, on the other hand, have shown that Euro 2004 was a fluke. Prior to the competition they had never won a game in the finals, and subsequently they have struggled in their WC qualifying group and lost to Japan. In a way, their success is similar to Germany at the 2002 WC. Germany were dreadful, yet managed to claw their way to the final.

Comment

Fluke

WS

I agree that Greece won't win anything again. I disagree that they fluked a win in Euro, though. Remember they beat Portugal twice, disposed of France etc. I watched every game and I think they deserved every win they got - you coudn't say there was any game where they were outclassed.

Comment

Re: Fluke

you coudn't say there was any game where they were outclassed
                  Russia?

Comment

Ok

I had forgotten that one. Yes they did struggle a bit there. In any case I made £100 betting that Greece would get to the quarters (based on their qualifying record). Wish I'd gone all the way

May put a little one on England reaching the final. Remember Sven has a negotiated a month's break - I think that will make all the difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X