• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inspired by Brillo, my fitness training ....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Seriously what do you do for a living?
    I'm independently wealthy....

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      I'm independently wealthy....
      No one independently wealthy lives in Swindon.
      So how did you make your fortune?
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

No one independently wealthy lives in Swindon.
        So how did you make your fortune?
        Property speculation, built up and sold a business, investment of contracting income.

Comment

Property speculation, built up and sold a business, investment of contracting income.
          So why live in a tuliphole like Swindon?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

So why live in a tuliphole like Swindon?
            You live in Wandsworth you say?

Comment

Annoys the crap out of me having to pay TV licence when I watch almost nothing from the BBC.
              It's very satisfying batting away the TV-licencing people. They can't believe people wouldn't have a telly.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                Road bike. The rolling resistance of a mountain bike makes longer distances almost impossible; it's altogether larger, heavier, and just not built for speed.

Depends what you want to do. If you want to get fit, quickly, I'd say road bike; start witha few weeks of 15 milers, then pop in 2*40 milers a week. Will kill you to start, but within 2-3 weeks, you'll be pissing them. Then start adding bigger hills in the rides. If you did 2*40 miles a week, you'd be fit, quickly, and could live normally, as such.

Tat's my take. But I have an MTB as well, and hooning down trails is a lot of fun, if slightly dangerous, from the not taking time off work injured front.
                Sorry to bring this back on topic.

I used to do a lot of mountain biking when i was young and bit of downhill racing. This village i grew up in had an old gravel quarry in the woods which was quite famous with mountain bikers ("Treasure island" in Danbury). I wasn't sure whether the rolling resistance of a mountain bike and the more varied terrain could have meant it was better for calorie expenditure.

Any recommendations of an entry level road bike? I know very little about them, i have done a bit of research and the Specialized Allez seems a good place to start.

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
                  Sorry to bring this back on topic.

I used to do a lot of mountain biking when i was young and bit of downhill racing. This village i grew up in had an old gravel quarry in the woods which was quite famous with mountain bikers ("Treasure island" in Danbury). I wasn't sure whether the rolling resistance of a mountain bike and the more varied terrain could have meant it was better for calorie expenditure.

Any recommendations of an entry level road bike? I know very little about them, i have done a bit of research and the Specialized Allez seems a good place to start.
                  Trek have the best, imo, alloy frames, but if you go into carbon, you have smaller cottage industry German manufacturers building some great items for about £1500, but if you spend over £2k, you can claim 20% VAT back and make it a company purchase (it’s also a depreciating asset, so you can write it off after a short while).

If you had 700-800, I’d go for a trek. Any lower, and you’re looking at Boardmans, and Carrera’s from Halfords, to be honest and the quality of the components slip.

Personally, I go MTB for fun, and Road bike for exercise, and always have felt that way. You get places quicker on the road bike, so I guess some of it might be mentally i.e. you can punt out a 60 miler on a Sunday morning instead of a 30 miler.

Comment

It's very satisfying batting away the TV-licencing people. They can't believe people wouldn't have a telly.
                    To be frank sas, I haven’t once had to bat them away, so I am surprised you have had to.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                      Trek have the best, imo, alloy frames, but if you go into carbon, you have smaller cottage industry German manufacturers building some great items for about £1500, but if you spend over £2k, you can claim 20% VAT back and make it a company purchase (it’s also a depreciating asset, so you can write it off after a short while).

If you had 700-800, I’d go for a trek. Any lower, and you’re looking at Boardmans, and Carrera’s from Halfords, to be honest and the quality of the components slip.

Personally, I go MTB for fun, and Road bike for exercise, and always have felt that way. You get places quicker on the road bike, so I guess some of it might be mentally i.e. you can punt out a 60 miler on a Sunday morning instead of a 30 miler.
                      Thank you, my MTB is actually a trek (6000), about 10 years old and still a fantastic bike. There is also the cycle to work scheme i was looking at, but the bike would be purely for personal use as i wouldn't like to leave an expensive bike chained up in London.

Comment

Working...
                      X