• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You know that moment when you think how could I have been so stupid part 2?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unlucky brillo, live to fight plenty more days.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      At midnightman I had a record swim and bike and the first 16 miles of the run were great despite not being able to do any running for 6 weeks leading up to event. The last 10 miles were pure hell - total agony. I did get a trophy for 2nd in the 50+ class, but have been walking like a cripple since.

A MRI has shown that there is no cartilage left on the inside of left knee and the pain was bone hitting bone and is still very bruised. I have an operation on Thursday(15th) to sort this out. Due to the bruising the recovery will be slow and painful and I have take it easy for about 2 months.

Hence I am pulling out of the brutal double this year - I have sent email to organizers to see if I can defer until next year.

My priest is very upset - he has lost fund raising money.....
      Think that's the right decision. Maybe you can use your recovery time to really work on the swimming - IIRC you said it wasn't your strongest discipline?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Think that's the right decision. Maybe you can use your recovery time to really work on the swimming - IIRC you said it wasn't your strongest discipline?
        You have a good memory - its very true. My strategy is going to be to do most of my training on cycling/swimming initially and introduce the running very very slowly.

I have improved swimming alot using Total Immersion Swimming Teaching and Coaching - Swimmer and Triathlete Swimming Instruction UK - I actually went for a single session at Lingfield. I have totally changed my stroke - its now 1 kick per arm stroke. And its same side - so right arm, right leg. this, apparently, engages the chest muscles.

You are right - I must get some more sessions with him.

Maybe Dallas will improve her swimming too - either by buying a wet suit that can cope with her rowing muscles or cutting back on the rowing......

Comment

Just heard from the race director - I can defer entry until next year!

I was very worried there I was going to lose £335 - no doubt NLUK will be upset as I entered a contract without being able to fulfill my obligations and have been given a second chance.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Total Immersion Swimming Teaching and Coaching - Swimmer and Triathlete Swimming Instruction UK[/url]
            here was me thinking the whole point of swimming was to avoid total immersion

Comment

I'd be cautious even cycling on a dodgy knee, mine hurts if I cycle too much/hard. They might get you doing water-based stuff as part of your recovery, hydrotherapy I think is the term?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I'd be cautious even cycling on a dodgy knee, mine hurts if I cycle too much/hard. They might get you doing water-based stuff as part of your recovery, hydrotherapy I think is the term?
                I certainly need to improve my swimming - but at the moment swimming hurts more than cycling which is odd.

I do get knee pain when cycling if I cycle too little. The more I do the less it hurts.

Seems your knee problem (if that is what it is) is different to mine?

Comment

And I thought doing a 126 mile kayak marathon was hard work

Good luck anyway
                  Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

I imagine so. My left knee has always hurt after doing a lot of physical activity, ever since I was 7 or so - it just aches. It also clicks quite a lot especially when tired - straightening the leg clicks and relieves the ache a bit. It doesn't hurt any more from running, just general use really though cycling at higher resistance makes it worse.

I think it's just a bit crap - waiting to see if cycling builds it up or makes it get worse.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      I imagine so. My left knee has always hurt after doing a lot of physical activity, ever since I was 7 or so - it just aches. It also clicks quite a lot especially when tired - straightening the leg clicks and relieves the ache a bit. It doesn't hurt any more from running, just general use really though cycling at higher resistance makes it worse.

I think it's just a bit crap - waiting to see if cycling builds it up or makes it get worse.
                      Whatever you do best to take it slowly. Do what I say, not as I do. I tried to do loads of running suddenly and wrecked the knee.

Comment

Working...
                      X