• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone working in "Machine Learning"?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by No2politics View Post
    That's the one. It was courserras first course. It's instructor is the guy that set up courserra. Not sure when the next one runs, it seems like there is a lull in courserra courses provided over the summer, perhaps as the university professors are on summer research or what have you.

You get to learn octave. Haven't seen many jobs requiring octave. But I think the course will teach the principles which you could then apply in another language such as python
    meanwhile, if you are programming oriented, you could read this book, the title seems to be a bit of a misnomer, it's about ML algorithms implemented in Python.:
    Programming Collective Intelligence: Building Smart Web 2.0 Applications: Amazon.co.uk: Toby Segaran: Books
    I'm not that interested in the pure programming angle, so its not for me.
    There's an equivalent book for R which sadly doesn't seem as good.

This one looks good thinks its also online
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bayesian-Rea...chine+learning
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      meanwhile, if you are programming oriented, you could read this book, the title seems to be a bit of a misnomer, it's about ML algorithms implemented in Python.:
      Programming Collective Intelligence: Building Smart Web 2.0 Applications: Amazon.co.uk: Toby Segaran: Books
      I'm not that interested in the pure programming angle, so its not for me.
      There's an equivalent book for R which sadly doesn't seem as good.

This one looks good thinks its also online
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bayesian-Rea...chine+learning
      I'd rather be eaten alive by a python than learn it TBH. I have been meaning to get into octave or scilab for a while though, so I might give that a go.

Edit: online version of the Barber book is here, http://web4.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/D.Bar...ook/090310.pdf
      Last edited by doodab; 20 June 2013, 08:17.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Edit: online version of the Barber book is here, http://web4.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/D.Bar...ook/090310.pdf
        ta.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          I'd rather be eaten alive by a python than learn it TBH
          Just out of interest why don't you like Python?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

The only machine learning you lot are doing is learning how to work the fryer at McDonalds.

Comment

Originally posted by proggy View Post
              The only machine learning you lot are doing is learning how to work the fryer at McDonalds.
              Break the habit of a lifetime and try someything contructive for a change, why not?
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Just out of interest why don't you like Python?
                The Zen of Python thing grates, even more so when you discover that whitespace is a fundamental part of the syntax, which appears to violate most of the aforementioned rules.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                X