• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Website

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a very nice web site which actually has a reasonable business return so I have concurrent jobs on the go pretty much all the time now. It helps with the IR35 stuff as it lists our services and shows that we are primarily a software outfit rather than an individual contractor. I also do managed cabling, software, SBS deployment, Linux admin, web sites, bum-on-seat contracting and sub-contract work out occasionally so I'm actually more of a normal small business than a contractor op.
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

A single page webtulipe is probably not worth doing.

But if you are touting (for example) that you are the worlds best .NET developer, having a company website to showcase your abilities (some products & freeware), articles, a blog all about .NET and cutting edge stuff, a portfolio of previous projects and clients (high level), etc, actually is useful when at interviews or when bidding for work and also if the IR come knocking.

It also showcases your web dev skills if relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl
        Yeah I was wondering about the IR35 and having a site to show you are a real business.
        I think in all honesty that having a website will not swing it for an IR35 investigation team.

Perhaps Malvolio can expand...?
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
          I think in all honesty that having a website will not swing it for an IR35 investigation team.

Perhaps Malvolio can expand...?
          It will if it has client testamonials on it which conveniently overlap and you have contracts to back that up.

You can then claim "you should have at least checked our web site before bothering us".

Comment

Fair points by Wendigo, but surely if you have a site you can reference it in a CV and then put details of relevant work on it for anyone who is interested in knowing more?
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

When I was investigated for IR35 myco's website was quoted by HMRC as being a pointer to IR35 not applying. My view is that lots of little pointers add up to ONE BIG BIG POINTER. IR35 is the only reason for most contractors to have one and anyone can knock up a few web pages in less than an hour. What's the problem?
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
                It will if it has client testamonials on it which conveniently overlap and you have contracts to back that up.

You can then claim "you should have at least checked our web site before bothering us".
                It is the "our" that I could never get my head around. In most cases it is one man. Once you know that the rest reads like bullsh1t.

However, people like you, our simian friend, can get away with it given that you sub-contract.

Small point, but overlapping contracts mean something re IR35, but overlapping testimonials? What are they?

Comment

plan b has a website

Milan.

Comment

TheMonkey - what is the url of your website, would love to see what it looks like as most contractor sites I know are very poor, and make it obvious that they're a one-man band.

Thanks

Comment

I'm not going to publically show the URL of the web site as that would link me permanently with acres of abusive comments which would make me look unfavourable to clients

We are an "our" - there are 3 of us. 1 on contract, 1 wife and 1 me

Testimonials == contracts. They are all genuine ones and are backed with contracts.

Comment

Working...
                      X