• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Middle Lane Smackdown

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Nah - it's bloody boring.

You are driving along on a sunny afternoon smiling about how sweet those little kids you stopped for earlier were waiting nicely at the zebra crossing, when you turn on to a piece of road. Out in front of you walks a gang of 5 youths who have clearly been watching too many Hip-Hop videos. They are 5 metres away from a Pelican crossing but obviously they can't use it.

They limp in front of you slowly trying to look as cool as possible. One of them looks scared and he limps the fastest so crosses the road quickest. However one limps the slowest he possibly can.

During this limping show you are reminded of Ali G and try not to laugh. You are also impressed by the multi-culture make up of the gang.

If you honk at him because the car behind you is changing lanes to turn left as there are now two lanes, as you are slowing down he will look at you and raise 2 fingers. His mates in front of him will then all turn around and raise a finger or two, or make the shape of a gun.

The car that has changed lanes will slam on their brakes just in time. The gang will then all stop in the road or run back into it and start swearing at you both. The fact that you honked at at slowest limper to warn him that he was going to get run over by the car changing lanes doesn't matter.

As you are in the right hand lane you can escape the limping youths by crossing over the centre and driving on. Leaving the car driver who changed lanes to suffer their fate swearing.

BTW due to the youths trying this limping act out in front of a few buses in the area and a couple of them getting killed they have stopped doing it.
    Had a home-boy do this in front of our Landrover last year He didn't half move when he heard the V8 drop down a gear The silly bastards trousers almost fell down on the way making it even more comical

Nothing wrong with the middle lane as long as you are the fastest one in it

Comment

Its about time. I love it here as you can be wellying along, overtake a police car at speeds which would put in prison in the UK and they nick the idiot sitting in the middle lane. You get a lot of people sitting in the middle lane here due to something called 'Spurwechselangst' which is people will sit in the middle lane as they're too scared that if they go back into the inside lane they won't be able to get back out to overtake something slower in front. You also get the ******* idiots who'll put cruise control on and just keep at that speed regardless of limit changes, roadworks, etc.

I remember a friend of mine getting stopped for going too slow around town even though there was a few inches of snow on the ground!
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        You get a lot of people sitting in the middle lane here due to something called 'Spurwechselangst' which is people will sit in the middle lane as they're too scared that if they go back into the inside lane they won't be able to get back out to overtake something slower in front.
        Yup. exactly why this policy is just a money grab. If I can see 1 mile down a line of slow trucks and in the lane beside is busy I'll immediately go for a gap. Now under this tulipty rule I could get fined.

Talk about nanny state. We complained about it under Labour. Cons not doing too badly either.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Better system is American, 55 mph strictly enforced use any lane you like.

Fully undewritten by "or else you get shot" value proposition.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
            Yup. exactly why this policy is just a money grab. If I can see 1 mile down a line of slow trucks and in the lane beside is busy I'll immediately go for a gap. Now under this tulipty rule I could get fined.

Talk about nanny state. We complained about it under Labour. Cons not doing too badly either.
            Drive faster.

If your car can't do 70 then it shouldn't be on the motorway.

I'm not going to give way to you if I'm in the middle lane over taking you and the group of lorries in front of you because you decide to drive at 60 as you are a modern car and I know that you wouldn't be allowed on the road if it can't reach 70. However if you are a lorry who needs to pull out due to some scared driver going at 40 then I will give way to you.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Drive faster.

Rubbish. My vintage does 60 and it happily goes on the motorway.
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                Rubbish. My vintage does 60 and it happily goes on the motorway.
                Then don't complain if the police give you a ticket for hogging the middle lane.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Drive faster.

Balls. 70 is the speed LIMIT, the maximum you can go not the speed you should drive. 60 is just fine as long as you stay in the slow lane.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Balls. 70 is the speed LIMIT, the maximum you can go not the speed you should drive.
                    Yes, but if you are driving dangerously (which would be too slow speed compared to other traffic) then it's separate offence even if you did not break the speed limit.

Comment

Then don't complain if the police give you a ticket for hogging the middle lane.
                      I didn't say I would hog it. Obviously if I have to pass someone slower than me, and my car only does 60...duh!

Besides there is no minimum speed law on the motorway anyway. So technically I could go 40 if I wanted.

You do seem to be a bit of a road bully. Anger management and taking life easy are keys to longevity in life.

Comment

Working...
                      X