• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Right to reside? keeping Johnny foreigner off our benefits or discriminatory?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    ftfy
    No I meant what I said, if CUK can be taken as a benchmark.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      No I meant what I said, if CUK can be taken as a benchmark.
      Either way, it's a bloody good job there are plenty of migrants moving around the place if the yokels are that thick.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

SO why should he be allowed in? Surely you can just let the club go bust and avoid these mucky immigrants coming in? Anyway, its nonsense; I might have bought it if it was on sale for a tenner.
        Didn't Bates originally buy Chelsea for a quid?

Comment

Either way, it's a bloody good job there are plenty of migrants moving around the place if the yokels are that thick.
          Mitch I'm disappointed in you, you are obviously falling into the SASGuru style of cheap shots and insults whilst failing to indulge in reasonable argument.

Please don't I actually find you an interesting poster sometimes.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
            Didn't Bates originally buy Chelsea for a quid?
            That's an outlier! Mr vetran doesn't want you to include those in the statistics!

Comment

That's an outlier! Mr vetran doesn't want you to include those in the statistics!
              not quite sure what buying a football club has to do with immigration or benefits?

please explain

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                Mitch I'm disappointed in you, you are obviously falling into the SASGuru style of cheap shots and insults whilst failing to indulge in reasonable argument.

Please don't I actually find you an interesting poster sometimes.
                Sorry. I shouldn't do that. It gets a bit annoying reading repeated threads about the EU and immigrants where assertions are not backed up with facts. I have been trained to ask questions, both in science and in testing, and I have a particular talent for asking questions people can't or don't want to answer, especially on immigration as my education was largely on spatial demographics. Sasguru is a statistician, which is a connected field of study, and so while I think he could be more polite, I think the content of what he says is often correct. As for immigrants and benefits, there is too much nonsense spouted by the press and the politicians which is either confusing people or confirming their prejudices, and that information is rarely viewed critically without someone accusing the critic of having some hidden agenda instead of just answering the question. It's quite difficult for scientifically trained people to view the media without sometimes feeling queasy at the presentation of opinion as fact and the misrepresentation of statistics. You spend years learning about a subject, being challenged on every assertion you make, and realising how bloody complicated it is only to see simpleton politicians and journalists spouting crap, and worse, making policies about something most of them can't even start to comprehend, and it gets annoying.

Comment

Sorry. I shouldn't do that. It gets a bit annoying reading repeated threads about the EU and immigrants where assertions are not backed up with facts.
                  OK, I actually posted to see what everyone thought about The EU suggesting we were in the wrong and what would be fair, as you pointed out its our system that is mostly duff, benefits cross border should be contribution based, some minority cases will be difficult to solve.

The reply I got was Migrants take less benefits than the ageing population which is obvious they will do, I suggested that was the wrong measure.

apologise if I annoyed you. lets get on with talking about OH's bulls/balls!

Comment

I am an Expat and not an immigrant

I am not an immigrant. British Citizens living in Europe are expats

Comment

It's quite difficult for scientifically trained people to view the media without sometimes feeling queasy at the presentation of opinion as fact and the misrepresentation of statistics. You spend years learning about a subject, being challenged on every assertion you make, and realising how bloody complicated it is only to see simpleton politicians and journalists spouting crap, and worse, making policies about something most of them can't even start to comprehend, and it gets annoying.
                      Unfortunately, major decisions are not based on facts and statistics. They're based on people's interpretations of them (their opinions). In the real world, opinions are more important, and the fact that you may disagree with them, or know that people have not come to the "logical" solution doesn't make one superior, or mean that everyone should change your mind to agree with you, just because you may be technically right. The fact that Sas can't grasp this is probably part of the reason that he comes across as a complete ****** [ OK, so I can't say it, but can have an animation of it?], whether or not he may have a valid point.

Comment

Working...
                      X