• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cameron hails breakthrough tax deal in Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Err, no - they keep them as big cash reserves mostly - especially Apple.
    Still preferable to politicians running up debts that I'll have to repay for the rest of my working life. What working life? Do I expect a pension? Hmm? Nurse? Bring me my reality pills!
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Still preferable to politicians running up debts that I'll have to repay for the rest of my working life.
      Politicians have to borrow because there are not enough tax revenues.

There are two main reasons to this:

1) they spend too much to buy votes

2) they don't collect full amount of tax due, especially from very large corporations

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Politicians have to borrow because there are not enough tax revenues.

There are two main reasons to this:

1) they spend too much to buy votes

2) they don't collect full amount of tax due, especially from very large corporations
        No, there is one reason; they spend what they think they're going to get instead of what they have.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

No, there is one reason; they spend what they think they're going to get instead of what they have.
          No, the real reason is that they suffer from severe deficiency in numeracy... or honesty!

Comment

And thereby provide books, computers and other apparatus that can be used by people to do productive and useful things. Give it to the government and they'll provide a few more speed bumps and lesbian outreach officers and still run up a debt.
            Absolutely! When will people get the message - "A skint Government is a healthy government!"

and that isn't a whimsical saying meant to be comical, but the underlying reason for the freedoms we enjoy today.

Heaven preserve us from a Government flush with cash, like the Saudis today or English sovereigns like Henry VIII and William the Conqueror in the past.

So in short, people like AtW who applaud the government for trying to winkle more money out of tax avoiders and large corporations (who will only pass it on to consumers), are muppets.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              So in short, people like AtW who applaud the government for trying to winkle more money out of tax avoiders and large corporations (who will only pass it on to consumers), are muppets.

This reminds me - where is Beaker?

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                We never hear anyone challenging how the tax is spent
                Yes we do. We hear it all the ******* time.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  Yes we do. We hear it all the ******* time.
                  Not from lefties we don't. Nor will lefties criticise public services. This is because they see tax as a punishment for peope who are richer than themselves and they feel that patronising public services (dont attack state schools it will undermine their morale - but I would not send my own kids to one!) gives themselves moral virtue.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    they see tax as a punishment for peope who are richer than themselves
                    Do you feel being punished?

Comment

Working...
                    X