• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cameron hails breakthrough tax deal in Europe"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    they see tax as a punishment for peope who are richer than themselves
    Do you feel being punished?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Yes we do. We hear it all the ******* time.
    Not from lefties we don't. Nor will lefties criticise public services. This is because they see tax as a punishment for peope who are richer than themselves and they feel that patronising public services (dont attack state schools it will undermine their morale - but I would not send my own kids to one!) gives themselves moral virtue.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    We never hear anyone challenging how the tax is spent
    Yes we do. We hear it all the ******* time.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    So in short, people like AtW who applaud the government for trying to winkle more money out of tax avoiders and large corporations (who will only pass it on to consumers), are muppets.

This reminds me - where is Beaker?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    And thereby provide books, computers and other apparatus that can be used by people to do productive and useful things. Give it to the government and they'll provide a few more speed bumps and lesbian outreach officers and still run up a debt.
    Absolutely! When will people get the message - "A skint Government is a healthy government!"

and that isn't a whimsical saying meant to be comical, but the underlying reason for the freedoms we enjoy today.

Heaven preserve us from a Government flush with cash, like the Saudis today or English sovereigns like Henry VIII and William the Conqueror in the past.

So in short, people like AtW who applaud the government for trying to winkle more money out of tax avoiders and large corporations (who will only pass it on to consumers), are muppets.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    No, there is one reason; they spend what they think they're going to get instead of what they have.
    No, the real reason is that they suffer from severe deficiency in numeracy... or honesty!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Politicians have to borrow because there are not enough tax revenues.

There are two main reasons to this:

1) they spend too much to buy votes

2) they don't collect full amount of tax due, especially from very large corporations
    No, there is one reason; they spend what they think they're going to get instead of what they have.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Still preferable to politicians running up debts that I'll have to repay for the rest of my working life.
    Politicians have to borrow because there are not enough tax revenues.

There are two main reasons to this:

1) they spend too much to buy votes

2) they don't collect full amount of tax due, especially from very large corporations

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Err, no - they keep them as big cash reserves mostly - especially Apple.
    Still preferable to politicians running up debts that I'll have to repay for the rest of my working life. What working life? Do I expect a pension? Hmm? Nurse? Bring me my reality pills!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    At least if Google and Amazon keep it the money will be put to good use.
    Err, no - they keep them as big cash reserves mostly - especially Apple.

So the money don't work for those companies other than giving very small interest on them.

Talking of which - what's the current interest level paid by banks on 100 bln dollars?

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Indeed.

Ever seen the film Looper?

Perhaps he'd like to go back to 1994 and have a word with himself.

I thought you were going to say he was using time travel to dodge tax. Fair play to him if he managed that.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Can't say the same about Apple who just stock pile cash

We had this discussion the other day about Amazon - they don't avoid tax by offshoring money. Instead they spend all their profit on under cutting the competition leaving them with zero actual profit and so no tax liability
    And thereby provide books, computers and other apparatus that can be used by people to do productive and useful things. Give it to the government and they'll provide a few more speed bumps and lesbian outreach officers and still run up a debt.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    At least if Google and Amazon keep it the money will be put to good use. We never hear anyone challenging how the tax is spent, all we hear are howls of envy inspired entitlement.
    Can't say the same about Apple who just stock pile cash

We had this discussion the other day about Amazon - they don't avoid tax by offshoring money. Instead they spend all their profit on under cutting the competition leaving them with zero actual profit and so no tax liability

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    It wouldn't make one iota of difference to Britain's finances if Google or Amazon paid more tax, as politicians would still spend more than the government recieves in revenues; the UK would still be deep in the poo. That's why I'm inclined to sympathise with tax evaders and tax avoiders; it doesn't matter how much tax you pay, the politicians and civil servants will never have enough of it.
    At least if Google and Amazon keep it the money will be put to good use. We never hear anyone challenging how the tax is spent, all we hear are howls of envy inspired entitlement.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I am waiting for price drop to buy it from tax dodging Amazon
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Just rent it from tax dodging Google instead
    It wouldn't make one iota of difference to Britain's finances if Google or Amazon paid more tax, as politicians would still spend more than the government recieves in revenues; the UK would still be deep in the poo. That's why I'm inclined to sympathise with tax evaders and tax avoiders; it doesn't matter how much tax you pay, the politicians and civil servants will never have enough of it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X