• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

surprise

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    she married you, you can support her and when she has built up a reasonable pot of contributions then she can claim.

You will find married couples get judged as one for benefits.

Just as if I moved to the US / Australia with an American / OZ wife, if I could convince them I should get a green card.

To Mudskipper

If they are a UK citizen then we have to support them if they come back.

Remember I believe in workfare so any long term benefits require effort on the claimants part.
    But what if I died and she needed to claim benefits?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Looks like you'll have to be on cretin duty today, got some models to run.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Don't let them run too fast, it might give them chunky thighs and the agencies don't like that.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I'm fascinated as to why my missus's overseas birth should disqualify her from benefits when she's been paying tax and NI for the last 16 years.
          'cos she is forren innit.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

and she had spent your life insurance & pension?

don't know maybe we need to make a rule for that?

Why do you believe she is eligible for benefits ?
            Last edited by vetran; 17 May 2013, 11:09.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              I don't think Old Greg is a Cretin, sometimes he asks sensible questions.

I'm sure we will coast by without your stupidity for a day.

Comment

I'm sure I'm so stupid I'll post endless brain-dead Wail links today.
                FTFY. What do you do for a living again?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

and she had spent your life insurance & pension?

don't know maybe we need to make a rule for that?

Why do you believe she is eligible for benefits ?
                  Her eligibility for benefits comes from her contributions as a tax paying British resident. Why should her overseas birth and citizenship disqualify her.

Comment

surprise

Her eligibility for benefits comes from her contributions as a tax paying British resident. Why should her overseas birth and citizenship disqualify her.
                    AIUI - jumping into this a bit late, not read it all, even a Brit whose lived abroad for more than two years I think it was loses any benefit entitlements on return apart from JSA.

Comment

why should her contributions entitle her?

many people make contributions are then not entitled to support due to their status. Old peoples Care homes being a classic example.

Why shouldn't you make preparations to provide for your wife rather than expecting the state to provide?

these things need to be clarified and dealt with dispassionately.

Comment

Working...
                      X