• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

As SY01 problems go

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Document each problem with possible solutions and timescales.

Let the client manager decide how they want to handle this.
    Winner.

That was what I needed. +ve on it's way.

Thanks
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      It's a 32 bit assembly. That's the point prawn, try to keep up old son.

When it works, it (windows) provides the correct version of CSC.exe to the tool, and it compiles the injected classes and generates the pdbs.

When it stops working, windows for some reason says "Ah ok you need a debugger, better have the default one then, here it is all 64 bits of it".

If in their code, when calling the remote debugger they actually stiplulated x86 I would not be having this problem.

The question would be, how do I make the 32 bit version of the framework the default? Or put another way, when a 32 bit app calls the remote debugger, wtf does it pass back a 64 bit instance?
      What you doing hacking around in code? I thought you had moved away from coding?

Comment

This is a pretty strange one.

In a nutshell I've been unable to work since last Wednesday when my environment stopped working. It's a BPM tool, that has Csharpy bits at the backend. The bit that's stopped working is being able to debug the code. It fires up VS2010 in a remote debugging session. The specific problem is that it's stopped loading the symbols so I can't put in breakpoints.

This was on my VM that I built before I got out here. Restored from snapshot, still not working. Weird.

ClientCo have been trying to get me on their environment for the past 5 weeks and this kind of expedited that a bit. So this morning I got access.

You beauty. So I have been working for 1hr 30 mins. Then their environment packs in as well.

My direct reports response was "Oh well it works for me ok". Real nice, thanks.

So I raise a ticket with the vendor. Their response?

"It's a known issue in version x.y, and we expect to roll out a new release at the end of July to address this issue. There are no known workarounds".

So I have to resort to chiselling out text files with the bits I want to debug.

I know only a bad workman blames his tools, but in this case, I feel I have a case to bring.

Thoughts?
        Have you tried going up to the bird at the other end of the office and asking for a date rather than trying to send her a message on the company's computer system?
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          What you doing hacking around in code? I thought you had moved away from coding?
          It's a niche skill that has helped keep the wolf from the door. I'm quite enjoying being back coding again for a bit. And some of their c# code is gorgeous, really lovely code to read.

Struggling a bit getting my head around lambda functions though, seems like laziness at the cost of readability to me but then I am a bit of a dinosaur in coding terms.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            Have you tried going up to the bird at the other end of the office and asking for a date rather than trying to send her a message on the company's computer system?
            Great, now DodgyRetard's here

Comment

Struggling a bit getting my head around lambda functions though, seems like laziness at the cost of readability to me but then I am a bit of a dinosaur in coding terms.
              Lambda's can produce some very ugly code, but used judiciously, they're great.

Comment

Have you asked for an English language version?
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  Have you asked for an English language version?
                  Don't, the dev environment I'm on is german language.

Comment

Great, now DodgyRetard's here
                    I did my best given a limited technical knowledge
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                      I did my best given a limited technical knowledge
                      You really are earning your cut today aren't you
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X