• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should we allow foreign investors to buy our utility companies ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vote UKIP.

Comment

If there will be a market with competitors then privatise it. If there is no choice who provides the service then keep it in state hands otherwise we risk extortion. Too late now though, private monopoly it is.

Comment

Get the government buy back the utilities, and if they want; they can privatise HMRC.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          My local water company is owned by the yanks, we have the most expensive water in the country.
          I'm not surprised, that's a long pipe.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Let us make sure that we hold on to these companies for the right reasons and that we know "where to stop". We apply the rules to all British companies (which would probably be an unintended consequence of regulation) then they would be wiped out as they would not be able to raise investment if curtailed by UK law. Furthermore this should not be for the sake of "preserving British jobs". I am afraid that anyone who works in a "preserved working environment" will be lazy an badly motivated *(as will any companies that have their markets protected).

Ring fencing companies that are vital to the UK infrastructure It is not a simple matter to enact.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
              Get the government buy back the utilities, and if they want; they can privatise HMRC.
              A powerful country like the UK can make the foreign owners of utility companies miserable, driving the profitability down by all kinds of taxation schemes that are within the EU regulations, so the foreign owners will eventually be happy to sell it back to the state at a reasonable price. Hungary is doing just that. However, their utility prices are the highest in the EU, and the foreign owned utilities pay hardly any local taxes. So they are being kicked out. About time. Nevertheless, utility costs in the UK are relatively reasonable in the EU. So keep it as it is. Besides it is good to have them owned by foreigners. When UK has a conflict with those countries, at least there is something with which UK can squeeze the balls of the other party.
              My mind has gone blank. I wonder if it was always that way.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                I think it's ridiculous, you only have to look at what's happened to other utility companies to see how it will go. Prices will rise, money will as per usual leave the country through some form of loophole and the companies will pay very little in the way corporation tax.
                This is the "competitive advantage" that the British MPs go on about. Invest here, pay 0 tax and you can rip off the sheep and provide crap service. win win.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  My local water company is owned by the yanks, we have the most expensive water in the country.
                  You must live in the South West also then gj. My water costs are approx. £2k a year.
                  And it never stops fooking raining either!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Change water company.

Oh, you can't. So much for freedom of choice.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                      What is stopping them from charging exorbitant rates to make good their investment and hold the british consumers to ransom over water ?
                      Are you saying current water rates are not exorbitant???

Btw water companies are subject to price controls due to effective local monopoly on supply, so that's probably the safest utility to sell to some suckers who don't realise that some of the infrastructure used was build in Victorian times

Comment

Working...
                      X