• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best novel you've read?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    A Song of Ice and Fire aka Game of Thrones - George R R Martin
    Three books and near 3,000 pages down now. Taking a break with Bram Stoker's Dracula, before hitting book four and five of GoT.
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Virtually anything by wilbur smith - start with birds of prey if you are into adventure stuff, characters are cliched but brilliant at painting pictures. Totally converted a non-reading friend of mine who took it on hols, nearly cost him his relationship cos he couldn't keep away from it.
      Reading world without end after seeing a mini series was on (didnt watch it, want to read book first) very similar to pillars of the earth (which is great). Eye of the needle is an older ken follet but a real favourite.
      These are easy reading so if you want the book to be toil, look elsewhere...

Comment

Best novel you've read?

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
        Three books and near 3,000 pages down now. Taking a break with Bram Stoker's Dracula, before hitting book four and five of GoT.
        I know where the baaaastard sleeps!

Keanu Reeves, worst British accent in any movie, was it a book as well?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          I know where the baaaastard sleeps!

Keanu Reeves, worst British accent in any movie, was it a book as well?
          Can't say. I'm only 25% of the way through (Dracula has just run aground - as a dog! - on the English shoreline; captain of the ship found dead at the wheel, tied to it by rope and the string of beads carrying his crucifix. ...Which has given me quite a few ideas of how to present myself at my next gig.)
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

Best novel you've read?

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
            Can't say. I'm only 25% of the way through (Dracula has just run aground - as a dog! - on the English shoreline; captain of the ship found dead at the wheel, tied to it by rope and the string of beads carrying his crucifix. ...Which has given me quite a few ideas of how to present myself at my next gig.)
            If Dracula bought a cemetery would that mean he had a stake in it?

Comment

A long long way - Sebastian Barry
              Lords of discipline - Pat Conroy
              Power of one - Bryce Courtney
              Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
              Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
              LA Confidential - James Elroy

Comment

The contractor book of social skills

by SASGuru
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

by SASGuru
                  Fiction then.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
                    Slaughterhouse 5
                    Heart of Darkness
                    The Great Gatsby

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

by SASGuru
                      That is right up there with Spot the Dog for literary quality!
                      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X