• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Comparison of UK train operators' 1st class services

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    WHS. There is no first class anymore - its standard and then everyone else.
    Who owns GNER now, I remember travelling their trains only a few years ago. You still see the rolling stock with the big comfy seats...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Who owns GNER now, I remember travelling their trains only a few years ago. You still see the rolling stock with the big comfy seats...
      I think what he means is
      First Class = Being treated like a human being
      Standard Class = Cattle truck
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
        they have been known to give you 2/3 drinks if you ask for them.
        What do they do with the left over 1/3?
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

First Capital Connect.

You sometimes actually get a seat.
          And that's about it.

Comment

Southern

Free hot drinks from the trolley (if there is one!)

Some power points

Seats are basically the same as standard, as are tables - 4 seats to a table

Some of the 1st class sections don't even have a door to keep out the riff-raff

Staff are generally friendly and informative

Comment

Originally posted by rhubarb View Post
              First Capital Connect.

You sometimes actually get a seat.
              And that's about it.
              Depends which service you get. Some 1st class carriages (older?) have nice big comfy brown seats in a seperate area with a door. (worth the money IMO)

The newer trains are just standard commuter train seats with a little first class headrest cover (not worth the money IMO)

EAST MIDLANDS TRAINS

Nice big leather seats in a seperate carriage/area. Free WiFi (when it's working) Certain trains have a free pastry in the morning and some evening trains have free cheese and crackers. Free tea and coffee/ orange / apple juice / fizzy or still water with biscuits and peanuts at all times - evening trains serve wine (if you want it)

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
                evening trains serve wine (if you want it)
                Thanks for the clarification. Teetotalers and dieters were going to avoid it otherwise.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Might be handy:

What you get for First Class
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

If only it were correct. Greater Anglia have a 1st class lounge at Liverpool Street - and you get free drinks/snacks on-board (Intercity / Standard Express trains, but not the commuter units).

Comment

Last Worst Western

Good

First class seats are much more comfy that cattle class.
                      Free snacks and drinks for first class.
                      First class tickets allow access to first class lounges, which have free nuts, drinks, a toilet and a dustbin.

Bad

2.5 carriages of first class, which are half empty, even on peak journeys.
                      No wi-fi. None. Period.
                      Cattle class overcrowded. I have been left standing for the entire 1 hour journey a few times. This applies to both morning and evening.
                      Always late, never on time, during rush hours. Hence the name. 10 minutes late is considered to be on time.
                      Constant breakdowns, employees arriving late, signalling failures, and the most recent, suicides. The last one is not their fault though. Their management of breakdowns is terrible.
                      Very expensive in rush hours. A travelcard from swindon to London zones 1-6 is £805 a month for cattle class.
                      Last edited by tranceporter; 8 May 2013, 17:21.
                      I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Working...
                      X