• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

May

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Pain in the arse in Germany:

1st May - Wednesday - holiday
    9th May - Thursday - holiday (this is unofficially Fathers Day (*) although in the East it was known as Herrentag and the following Sunday its Mothers Day)
    20th May - Monday - holiday
    30th May - Thursday - holiday

If, like me you work far away it can mean up to 2 non-billing days in a week (1st May I stayed over as 3 non-billing days is a joke.) How's it going for SY01?

There are then no national holidays until 15th August, a Thursday and then 3rd October, also a Thursday.

(*) The men all go out and get drunk all day long. A lot of them will have wagons which they'll pull around full of beer as well although the do's I go to there does tend to be a fair few women as well....
    Being a miserable money grabbing contracting machine I don't do national holidays if possible. I told ClientCo I come to Germany to work, so would prefer to work if work is available. What's the point in coming to Germany to sit in my flat climbing the walls?

Fortunately they're very accommodating.

In the team meeting yesterday the BA piped up "Isn't it a bank holiday today in the UK?"

"Yes" I replied. "You chaps have a lot of bank holidays in May also".

"Yes" he replied.

"Jeez Louise you folks have more time off than father Christmas", said I.

Muchly guffaws.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Being a miserable money grabbing contracting machine I don't do national holidays if possible. I told ClientCo I come to Germany to work, so would prefer to work if work is available. What's the point in coming to Germany to sit in my flat climbing the walls?

Fortunately they're very accommodating.

In the team meeting yesterday the BA piped up "Isn't it a bank holiday today in the UK?"

"Yes" I replied. "You chaps have a lot of bank holidays in May also".

"Yes" he replied.

"Jeez Louise you folks have more time off than father Christmas", said I.

Muchly guffaws.
      They want to be careful as insurance might not cover you for working that day. I know I tried to do this at a couple of places and was turned down but when I have had to come on holidays, weekends, evenings, etc. its had to be cleared first with the relevant department.
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
      X