• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Atheism is not viable

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Atheism

That we can live good, ethical, lives without religious or superstitious beliefs

etc...
    Not negative, just utterly unrealistic. Here's another one:
    From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

Comment

Re: Atheism

How can the above be classified as negative?
      Because if you screw something up you've got no one to blame but yourself, whereas in Chico's world you can just shrug it off and say, "hey-ho, it's the will of God".

Comment

Oi Wendi

That we can live good, ethical, lives without religious or superstitious beliefs
        What's unrealistic?

Are you saying that you have to be religious or superstitious to live a good, ethical life?

Comment

Re: Oi Wendi

No, just that the human race won't do that. Nice idea, but so is heaven with 72 virgins.

The only thing I'd say about religion is that, without it, if I had the power to enjoy a magnificent life at the expense of others, what is to stop me?

Comment

Wrong again

Lucifer

How is it the will of God if the said farmer in Bulawayo exercises his free will and sleeps with 20 women putting himself at risk of AIDS? You have missed the point once again - it is about exercising self control and being accountable for your own actions. Secondly are you saying the AIDS problems in Latin America is worse than in Central and Southern Africa?

Comment

Re: Wrong again

Chico, have you forgotten to take the brain pills again this morning?
              How is it the will of God if the said farmer in Bulawayo exercises his free will and sleeps with 20 women putting himself at risk of AIDS
              It isn't.

Secondly are you saying the AIDS problems in Latin America is worse than in Central and Southern Africa?
              No. Are you? Or are you saying that unless an area's AIDS problem is worse than Africa's then it doesn't really have one?

Comment

The only thing I'd say about religion is that, without it, if I had the power to enjoy a magnificent life at the expense of others, what is to stop me?
                How does religion stop you?

Comment

Wrong again

Lucifer

Looks like you forgot your brain pills this morning. When did I say Latin America did not have an AIDS problem?

nope most are in Latin America. We do not hear of a massive AIDS problem there do we?
                  Thats what I actually said - note the word massive implying it is not as big a problem as the African one.

Comment

Re: Wrong again

Chico, why do you persist in trying to change the minds of those who have already made up their minds. No, far better to catch them while they are young or ignorant. I suggest an expedition up the Amazon, to spread the word to those people that time has forgot. Some of these tribes are cannibals and would really like to talk to a pale plumpy preacher over dinner.

Comment

How does religion stop you?
                      Some people are a bit more restrained by the thought of some sort of god keeping an eye on them. Others develop a good nature from their belief in what god, jesus or mohammed are supposed to have said.

I don't feel very strongly about arguing that side of things, so take it how you like, really.

Comment

Working...
                      X