• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tales from a grumpy imigrant part 2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    All this excitement about bloke crosses channel and car breaks down.

It's all this New Labour touchy-feely, wear-your-heart-on-your-sleeve, namby-pamby, molly-coddling, adult-infantilising culture that has sadly taken root, making adults behave like completely witless children.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      It's all this New Labour touchy-feely, wear-your-heart-on-your-sleeve, namby-pamby, molly-coddling, adult-infantilising culture that has sadly taken root, making adults behave like completely witless children.
      Yep.

Fook 'im.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Overheated engine usually means:

Blown gasket
        Warped head
        Stretched cylinder head bolts

So that's a machine shop job on the head, new bolts and gaskets, coolant and sundries.

Bill is going to get expensive.

A 1997 318i can be had for £900.

Why bother repairing this one?
        I know where I can get one for €700

I just spend £440 getting it through it's MOT and having all the brakes done. It's not pleasant, but if I let her go now for the sake of £600 then that's £440 down the swanny in my eyes.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          I know where I can get one for €700

I just spend £440 getting it through it's MOT and having all the brakes done. It's not pleasant, but if I let her go now for the sake of £600 then that's £440 down the swanny in my eyes.
          Sunk costs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

ummm imagine if your stocks were going down and down and down, you've lost £440 are you telling me that rather than cut your losses and survive your instead thinking of sinking more money into the investment, by more money i'm talking another £600-£900, which btw is more than your £440 investment thus far, possibly more than twice as much depending on the unknown

however, I have the feeling that im preaching to the non-converted in that you've already told the mechanic to go ahead and do the work and are now trying to justify your decision??

EDIT: or just read doodab's link above
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
              ummm imagine if your stocks were going down and down and down, you've lost £440 are you telling me that rather than cut your losses and survive your instead thinking of sinking more money into the investment, by more money i'm talking another £600-£900, which btw is more than your £440 investment thus far, possibly more than twice as much depending on the unknown

however, I have the feeling that im preaching to the non-converted in that you've already told the mechanic to go ahead and do the work and are now trying to justify your decision??

EDIT: or just read doodab's link above
              The only authorisation the mechanic has is to remove the head and investigate. You are not preaching, not am I unconverted. I understand what is logical, good money after bad etc etc.

There are however a couple of things I would like to add :

a) It is a gamble spending €700. I accept this. From where I sit this is my cheapest (not necessarily best) option here. If it goes wrong I promise not to come crying on here about it.
              b) I absolutely love the car. I'm a big softy at heart, and I have grown very fond of her. At her last MOT the garage said it was unfortunate the brakes all needed doing but apart from that she was absolutely solid underneath. Not a spot of rust. "A keeper".
              c) It's not the cars fault that I drove her 500 miles without first checking the health of the ancillaries. It was a bad move, my fault.
              d) Never leave a man behind. I came to Germany with her, so she should come home to a hero's welcome.

Clearly sentiment clouds my judgement, I am a fool and a lost cause. And none of you get attached to cars so cannot understand what I am saying.

Comment

The only authorisation the mechanic has is to remove the head and investigate. You are not preaching, not am I unconverted. I understand what is logical, good money after bad etc etc.

a) It is a gamble spending €700. I accept this. From where I sit this is my cheapest (not necessarily best) option here. If it goes wrong I promise not to come crying on here about it.
                b) I absolutely love the car. I'm a big softy at heart, and I have grown very fond of her. At her last MOT the garage said it was unfortunate the brakes all needed doing but apart from that she was absolutely solid underneath. Not a spot of rust. "A keeper".
                c) It's not the cars fault that I drove her 500 miles without first checking the health of the ancillaries. It was a bad move, my fault.
                d) Never leave a man behind. I came to Germany with her, so she should come home to a hero's welcome.

Clearly sentiment clouds my judgement, I am a fool and a lost cause. And none of you get attached to cars so cannot understand what I am saying.

But, but, you said you've spent hundreds on it already?

If you're in the poop financially, and need a car, you probably are doing the only thing you can so good luck.
                Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                  But, but, you said you've spent hundreds on it already?

If you're in the poop financially, and need a car, you probably are doing the only thing you can so good luck.
                  A hole in one.

Bought her for £500 and ran for a year without problems. Last MOT was £440 (inc VAT and MOT Cost).

When I saw your post in the thread heading on the main grid I thought oh she's going to rip me a new one.

A very big apology for thinking that, you're a good old stick really

Comment

Your car is like a beautiful woman.

Expensive with problems in the head.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Tales from a grumpy imigrant part 2

Don't get attached to cars! I have in the past, but they were Alfas, so that's understandable.

Get rid.

Comment

Working...
                      X