• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Life is tough on a six figure salary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by centurian View Post
    You can easily live on 6 figures - as long as you schedule your long term expenditure accordingly.

Many of those that are now struggling, set up their lifestyle expenditures during the good times and just thought the good times would go on and on for ever. They really believed Gordon Brown when he said "an end to boom and bust".

Now they see that pay rises are a thing of the past, bonuses are down/zero - and they are stuck with a humongous mortgage that saps most of that £100K.

Ironically contractors are probably far more resilient to this. We realise that our income level has large fluctuations, so most of us plan accordingly.
    Exactly, although the story is a puff piece of total bollocks there is a message somewhere.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      It's private school fees that cost
      Article said she didn't have sprogs as no other toffs could afford to have "shags" these days so none of those costs for her. For one person to live on their lonesome £100K should be a good salary. If she had bought a property at a sensible age instead of spending it all on shoes and handbags then she might have a pot to piss in now. I wonder if she has a nice stack of inheritance to come at some point, maybe her old dear is still going and therefore no inheritance from her Dad's wealth yet. Or maybe her parents were as bad with money as she was...

You would, though.
      The photo of her with the dog makes me want to punch her, and the ones of her in the brown coat make me feel like I should chuck 50p at her and tell her to get herself a coffee, and make sure not spend it on drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
        I wonder if she has a nice stack of inheritance to come at some point, maybe her old dear is still going and therefore no inheritance from her Dad's wealth yet. Or maybe her parents were as bad with money as she was...
        "When my father died in 1997, he left me only his books. " If they were worth anything she probably sold those already.

She may well be living pay check to pay check, but she gives the impression everyone else is broke too which obviously isnt the case.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Exactly, although the story is a puff piece of total bollocks there is a message somewhere.
          The 'message' is probably to her bosses hinting that she needs a pay rise. She seems to work for the Daily Wail as there are quite a lot of her other articles on the website.

It would be quite funny if she had already asked for a rise and was told to write an article about her poverty stricken lifestyle to see if her readers think she deserves one.

Comment

quick summary for those that can't be bothered reading the whole whiny piece

I some bint with a vaguely famous Daddy am living beyond my needs, I'm getting on a bit and having spent my life as a highish class prossy now find all the attractive ones have gone. Putting out doesn't get me the treatment it did when I was twenty and a bit firmer. Its a choice between shagging Bernie Ecclestone and cutting my outgoings.

sheesh!

People are running families on £20K down south. Arrogant cow.
            Last edited by vetran; 13 April 2013, 16:54. Reason: new improved with more bitterness
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Got to be pure click bait. Which seems to have worked.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                Article said she didn't have sprogs as no other toffs could afford to have "shags" these days so none of those costs for her. For one person to live on their lonesome £100K should be a good salary. If she had bought a property at a sensible age instead of spending it all on shoes and handbags then she might have a pot to piss in now. I wonder if she has a nice stack of inheritance to come at some point, maybe her old dear is still going and therefore no inheritance from her Dad's wealth yet. Or maybe her parents were as bad with money as she was...

The photo of her with the dog makes me want to punch her, and the ones of her in the brown coat make me feel like I should chuck 50p at her and tell her to get herself a coffee, and make sure not spend it on drugs.
                WHS++
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Ah you see when Thatcher destroyed the unions, she destroyed their bargaining power.
                  Now an economy based on consumption, rather than export, needs people to consume.
                  But they can't because salaries are too low.
                  A classic example of unintended consequences.
                  So hypocretin you want to argue for her reforms to be repealed?
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

It's easy to scoff, and the article is hamming it up a bit for entertainment value. But it's absolutely true, in London anyway, and those on average salaries are finding just the same even with their more modest aspirations.

Obviously sky high property prices is one factor. But high income taxes mean anything involving personal service, or employment generally, is priced almost out of existence, suppressing the flow of money like trying to pump fluid round leaky furred up pipes. Also, it's clear that in the long run importing cheap labour is like taking strychnine for a stomach ache.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                      hypocretin
                      Thanks for the compliment, hypercretin.

HTH, BIDI.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X