• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any Photographers out there ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last couple of times I've actually taken a shot on film, after I got over expecting the camera to focus itself with a half-press, I found myself thinking, OK, but I can't see it right away, how do I know it worked?

OTOH watching the image come up in the 60 seconds in the developer tray is a magic that you will never forget.
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      Well, have you seen a car with the petrol tank in the engine compartment?

If you thought an Allegro or Marina was bad engineering, look what the DRR had.
      In the Czech Republic in the 1990s I watched a line of cars drive slowly up a hill. A long line of Skodas, held up by a smoking and coughing Trabant at the front.

West Germany: Mercs and Porsches.
      East Germany: cars so bad they hold up Skodas.
      Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
        In the Czech Republic in the 1990s I watched a line of cars drive slowly up a hill. A long line of Skodas, held up by a smoking and coughing Trabant at the front.

As with any poorly maintain car they will smoke; especially two stokes. Collectors who have bought them have them running very well.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I remember seeing newsreels of them crossing the border just after the Berlin Wall came down.

All pushing them up the queue with the engines switched off to save fuel.

Just like I'd seen going across borders in Africa.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Skoda's of that era dominated their class in the RAC rally. Something like 13 straight wins.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Well, have you seen a car with the petrol tank in the engine compartment?

If you thought an Allegro or Marina was bad engineering, look what the DDR had.
              Trabants have a cult following now. You see groups of them driving around Berlin in Trabant Safaris. Comes under Ostalgie I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Yes.

The Hillman Imp.

Though the engine was in the back of that.
                I didn't know that. All the rear engined stuff I have come across had the tank at the front (though I haven't a clue where it is on a VW Microbus).

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                  Trabants have a cult following now. You see groups of them driving around Berlin in Trabant Safaris. Comes under Ostalgie I suppose.
                  Yep. The "Old Timers" I saw at this show were immaculately restored, and one even had luggage and official looking Communist Party stickers etc. That's what I meant when I said "fascinating", because it was a glimpse of a life I never knew.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Yes.

The Hillman Imp.

Though the engine was in the back of that.
                    The Hillman Imp was not good for the garage industry because it was the easiest car to work on DIY. Even removing the engine took 20 minutes with no use of hoists or ramps. Un-bolt the rear mounting, disconnect the shafts and push the car forward.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Yep. The "Old Timers" I saw at this show were immaculately restored, and one even had luggage and official looking Communist Party stickers etc. That's what I meant when I said "fascinating", because it was a glimpse of a life I never knew.
                      I found that a lot learning about the DDR. It showed me how little I knew about what happened after the war, even up until relatively recently (late 80s).

Comment

Working...
                      X