• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Could you live on £7.50 a day?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    well the polish etc are happy to work for that.

If the electorate hadn't repeatedly voted in new lie the wages would have gone up. Instead 'new' labour imported cheap labour and kept the unemployed on benefits through a mini boom.

Work fair, benefit cuts and immigration controls are the only way out IMHO.
    The Tories would have done the same. All politicians in this country have to lean to the centre to get elected.

The Tories rhetoric on Romanians and Bulgarians is just that. I know if you were Bulgarian if you were happy working in a care home or picking crops then you could have got a visa to work here quite easily for years. Now all you have to do is say you are self-employed.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Live on £7.50 per day. easy
      I could live on £1000 per day, but any increase is welcome

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Agreed.

This is why I don't like workfare. I have no problem with unemployed people volunteering or being told to volunteer for a charity but I have an issue with Poundland etc being given a worker for free. Lots of people have done some sort of menial work throughout their lives and the people who tend to get caught by these policies are actually useful i.e. know how to stack a shelf.
        that is an issue, however unless we are willing to set up organisations to run workfare for the full outstanding claimants (understanding 50% are likely not to attend). But I would prefer that large companies benefit from this and employ some of the applicants (should be a requirement) than we do nothing at all.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          But of course he doesn't actually care whether he's believed or not. He's just a politician making sure he and his cronies are all right, and sod the peasantry.
          FTFY

Tory/Labour/LibDem/EcoLoons/UKIP - career politicians.
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            that is an issue, however unless we are willing to set up organisations to run workfare for the full outstanding claimants (understanding 50% are likely not to attend). But I would prefer that large companies benefit from this and employ some of the applicants (should be a requirement) than we do nothing at all.
            Woohoo a return to YTS - free labour for Farmfoods / Iceland et al.

I worked as a student where the YTS were used as free junior staff although explicitly forbidden to do so, i.e if you normally ran with 3 staff then you couldn't run with 2 and a YTS - they did it all the time. a YTS being kept on was the exception.
            Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

He said he could do it. Now it's up to him to prove it, if he expects anything he says in future to be believed.
              But let's see him go through the whole rigmarole
              • take the bus to the local job centre, queue in line and do all the paperwork
              • take the bus and apply for housing benefit
              • pay gas and leccy out of that
              • pay the telly licence out of that
              • pay for bus fares to get to interviews
              • start off with empty cupboards and fridge so that he has to buy all his food in
              • put something aside for new clothes

and for the icing on the cake, have to deal with tax demands and unpaid NI from the last permie job where the employer went bust without paying them.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                But let's see him go through the whole rigmarole
                • take the bus to the local job centre, queue in line and do all the paperwork
                • take the bus and apply for housing benefit
                • pay gas and leccy out of that
                • pay the telly licence out of that
                • pay for bus fares to get to interviews
                • start off with empty cupboards and fridge so that he has to buy all his food in
                • put something aside for new clothes

and for the icing on the cake, have to deal with tax demands and unpaid NI from the last permie job where the employer went bust without paying them.
                Pay for internet access or try to find an open library with internet access, because you'll need to apply for Universal credit online
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

He said he could do it. Now it's up to him to prove it, if he expects anything he says in future to be believed.

But of course he doesn't actually care whether he's believed or not. He's just a bully boy making sure he and his cronies are all right, and sod the peasantry.
                  So in order for a person to be honest they have to accept every challenge that is placed in front of them?

You have been watching too many feckin' Kung Fu movies.

Comment

Anyway, the chap said that is what he had to live on after bills, I want a break down of the bills, chap could be eating caviar in front of a 46 inch TV all day for all we know.

The challenge is one of these pointless internet moral waves that you get ever so often, I hope the person that started it gets arrested jerking off in public.

Comment

Today some people receive £53 a week in benefits. Assuming that the government only pays the living then surely the case has been made that it is indeed possible to live on £7.50 per day?

I've worked in countries where the average income was $2 per day. The people there were very much alive.

The question is really. Is it a viable long-term proposition to live on £7.50 a week and enjoy the benefits of living in an modern economy?

The answer to that question is "No". The "Left's" solution is to give more of other peoples money. The "Rights" is to force them into work.

Comment

Working...
                      X