• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So what floats your geek boat?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a collection as such, but I have a load of retro music gear which I've never bothered to get rid of and drag some of it out to play every now and again, along with my up to date gear. Got lots of tulip like Alesis MMT8 sequencers, Alesis SR16 Drum machine, Midi retrofitted Roland Juno 6 synth, Roland TR series drum machines, Roland D series synths, Korg i3 synth and the obligatory collection of Atari 520 and 1040 computers that all electro-musos owned then.

Like others, I don't see it as a 'collection' as such, but then Mrs sure does

Hint for married musos....don't ever sell any of your gear. You can use the massive pile of unused gear to sneak new kit into the house, and when the wife asks how much it was, you tell her that it's one of the bits that's been in the loft 'for years'
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I am quite geekish in my love of martial arts and armed combat.
      I love board and role playing games (although I rarely play them now due to the kids), which is fairly geekish.

However, my geek trump card is LARPing (I think the most I spent on one game is £180 + kit and travelling)
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Makeup lessons from Mary Greenwell and Roja Dove perfumes.

Mr C knows that he won't be able to get close to the bathroom sink when I get out my tools to have a practice.

Happy Sunday afternoons
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          WHS
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I hate all "geekish" stuff.

Love money, sex and power.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              I hate all "geekish" stuff.

Love money, sex and power.

So how are you earning your money these days? £500 per day for HTML as you have since 1995?

Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

I have an unhealthy (and expensive) interest in 1950's American cars. I also build model steam engines.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

When I was young I liked short-wave radio, and making chemicals explode. Enthusiasms that I shared with Richard Feynman among others, not that I achieved the same intellectual level (well, I'm here now, right?). I do wonder how tomorrow's scientists will have their spark lit, now that SW is dead and explosions are not PC (not to say arrestable). Somehow I can't see the net and gaming doing it, but that's probably just an old fogey speaking.
                  Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    I don't really collect stuff. Although ms doodab would strongly disagree
                    Ah yes. Old phone chargers, 2Mp cameras, empty cardboard boxes, diskette labels, cables and adapters, the tool for removing the radio from the car I sold 6 years ago, instruction books for all the kettles I've ever owned, and so on.
                    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

I'm addicted to mathematics in any shape or form.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X