• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will Cyprus cause the collapse of the Eurozone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what we now have by way of government: a self-serving elite who cannot be trusted, operating to a timetable defined by, and limited to, the electoral cycle.
    I thought this was generally agreed to be an improvement on the previous arrangements where we had a self-serving elite who cannot be trusted, operating to a timetable defined by, and limited to, their lifespans.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Again, if Cyprus is booted out of the Euro then the markets breathe a sigh of relief and the USD/CHF short fulfills so I'm cool with that bro
      How's your trade working out for you?

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        I thought this was generally agreed to be an improvement on the previous arrangements where we had a self-serving elite who cannot be trusted, operating to a timetable defined by, and limited to, their lifespans.
        If you think about it though, we haven't really come much further:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

"This is what we now have by way of government: a self-serving elite who cannot be trusted, operating to a timetable defined by, and limited to, the electoral cycle."

Summed it up nicely for me.
          Self-serving? Well yes, except...

Imagine you are the only brave, honest politician, and you do the right thing. Next election you are history. You'll be replaced by someone who will do the wrong thing and dress it up as the right thing because that's the only way he'll been elected. This is what we call Democracy.

What is the point of being a good politician with no power? None. So next time, what do you do?

It's not politicians you should rail against, it's us. The electorate. As a whole, all electorates are as thick as pig sh1t.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            It's not politicians you should rail against, it's us. The electorate. As a whole, all electorates are as thick as pig sh1t.
            And yet for some reason people think "the wisdom of crowds" isn't a load of bollocking bollocks.

"****ed we are" said Yoda. And right he was.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Ah, yes, a bag of crisps. Now we all know that crisps are basically fried slices of potato with lots of salt and some sugar, and fried slices of potato contain lots of calories to make us fatty and wobbly, and contain salt, which we need in limited amounts, but in large amounts it can be bad for us, so we should eat crisps and enjoy them, but do so in moderation. Why, then, do we need that patronising tulipe printed on the bottom left corner of the bag to tell us what we already ******* well know? Is it to justify some politician's useless existence? Hmm? Is it to justify paying stupendous amounts of tax to politicians who can't make the books balance because they waste huge amounts of money on throwing all this condescending tulipe at us, every bloody day, on every bloody product we buy?
              I have to follow quite a specific diet for medical reasons and i find the numbers useful, not so much for crisps and pies and pate and stuff I know is bad, but for all the stuff that you might think is ok but isn't.

I think in general the prevention of bamboozling of consumers by big business is a good thing. Unfortunately it does seem that the people responsible have themselves become 'big business' and I think that is the root of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                I think in general the prevention of bamboozling of consumers by big business is a good thing. Unfortunately it does seem that the people responsible have themselves become 'big business' and I think that is the root of the problem.
                So do I, and actually you've reinforced my point, for which I am grateful. I'd prefer to see the government sending people to check whether producers are actually putting the stuff in the bag that is named on the front and listed on the back under the header 'ingredients', instead of sitting around in committees dreaming up new ways of telling us what we already know. Perhaps resources could be diverted from the 'committee for dreaming up gimmicky labelling laws' to the 'department of visiting meat producers and checking whether it really is beef in the package labelled 'beef lasagna'.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

March 22nd
                  My fourpennethsworth.

If Cyprus forces it's savers to take a haircut, then the very pitprop of modern economics will have been kicked out and in time the whole mineshaft will collapse. I would imagine if this looked likely then someone big would step in and write a cheque. It's a wonder Cyprus didn't just pass the movement and call Merkel's bluff.

The euro project will not fail. Cyprus will get it's funding, and get mightily bum raped in the process by the Russians.

The markets don't care who bails them out. For that reason I'm in. Short USD/CHF.
                  Originally posted by aussielong View Post
                  Bad trade that. You want to be long the dollar for the next few days.
                  We'll see.
                  March 25th
                  Originally posted by aussielong View Post
                  How's your trade working out for you?
                  USD/CHF 5 day exchange rate linky

Suity 0
                  AussieLong 1
                  The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                  X