• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End date approaching, when should I approach my boss to see if its being extended?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Ask the agent to ask.

Failing that, ask what they want you to do about handover.
    While in a businessd suit...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I normally start a month out.

Sent an email four weeks out - no reply.
      Sent an email two weeks out - no reply.
      One week out, client contact leaves - gives me another name to talk to about contract.
      Three days out - mention to everyone on conference call not to send too much work my way as contract expires this week. Shock all round.
      Two days out - remind new contact that contract expires. Told an extension is waiting for approval from big boss.

Tomorrow is one day out, fully expecting that nothing will be done. Big boss is away all next week on holiday. Currently debating whether to work at risk for the week and a bit until it gets sorted, or strop off to the bench.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        I normally start a month out.

Sent an email four weeks out - no reply.
        Sent an email two weeks out - no reply.
        One week out, client contact leaves - gives me another name to talk to about contract.
        Three days out - mention to everyone on conference call not to send too much work my way as contract expires this week. Shock all round.
        Two days out - remind new contact that contract expires. Told an extension is waiting for approval from big boss.

Tomorrow is one day out, fully expecting that nothing will be done. Big boss is away all next week on holiday. Currently debating whether to work at risk for the week and a bit until it gets sorted, or strop off to the bench.
        Yeh I've had this quite a lot....

In the past, I've been nice about but then stayed home for a day. All hell then breaks loose usually. Last time, even though I reminded the guy about 10 times in the previous two weeks he asked me to come in for the rest of the week (3 days over month end) and he'd sort it out.

Agency asked him to email confirmation that it'd be sorted and for some reason he didnt bother. Agency then told me - no way turn up. So that was it....

My rationale is that if you do it once, next time it'll be two weeks etc.

There was a contractor here who did this for two months though which I though was really silly.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I tell the agent that I will not be coming in until I get a formal extension complete with new contract which I need to have reviewed before start date. I have had things drag to the last minute but have always had a contract through before the renewal date.
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Yeh I've had this quite a lot....

In the past, I've been nice about but then stayed home for a day. All hell then breaks loose usually. Last time, even though I reminded the guy about 10 times in the previous two weeks he asked me to come in for the rest of the week (3 days over month end) and he'd sort it out.

Agency asked him to email confirmation that it'd be sorted and for some reason he didnt bother. Agency then told me - no way turn up. So that was it....

My rationale is that if you do it once, next time it'll be two weeks etc.

There was a contractor here who did this for two months though which I though was really silly.
            I'm direct and work from home - I don't think anyone would notice my absence!
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
              I would have asked a week ago, if the notice period was 1 month.

GL.
              Notice period is 2 weeks...

Comment

Originally posted by geoffreywhereveryoumaybe View Post
                In the same boat as you - mine ends 9th April. I always look at this period as a great opportunity to look for a better contract. So not plan B but plan A with the opportunity of landing a better contract without a notice period
                True, would ideally like something close to home/family in the West Midlands to reduce the 5 hr daily commute but there are very slim pickings at the mo.

Comment

I tend to ask with a month to go.

I'm due to finish in 2 weeks time and clientco have suggested there may be a whopping 2 week extension.
                  Im getting a little bored with clientco now so I've started looking for something a bit longer.

Comment

Am not looking forward to the usual merry go round of hassle dealing with agencies when applying though, fake jobs, no replies and agents fishing is what I have to look forward to for the next few weeks

Comment

+1 for a month to go, I give the agent a nudge. Start paying more attention to job feeds/emails. Get CV up to scratch.

3 weeks to go, if heard nothing, speak to the agent again, start dropping massive hints to influential permies. Send CV to any roles I've found online. Send email with CV directly to agents used in that past.

2 weeks to go. If still nothing from agent, speak to client contact myself to find out the real story. Talk loudly about code handover, documentation to anyone relevant, push back on any new work (assuming still have plenty to do).

1 week to go, feet up, don't give a tulip about work....

Comment

Working...
                      X