• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Found some money yesterday...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fleetwood
    Agree.
    Aimez-vous être mon ami spécial?
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

My most memorable terror attack was the time when the IRA shot a few mortars at Dowing Street, I was somebody in the City at the time and I recall loads of people running around the Bank underground with one guy screaming out Londons under attack !

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
        I grew up ariound the phrase
        "I'm off for a Thrupney"
        MrsGoof! where are you from? If it's rhyming slang you are after I think "Thrupneys" would be tits...... and going for a "Tom Tit" would be what you are doing......

Comment

not when I was a young-un, being draged to the local working mens club, given my bottle of coke and a bag of crisps. Then someone would stand up and say "I'm off for a thrupney" and upon return would utter the histerical line "i'd give that ten minutes if I were you"

I was aware of the other usage, except that was used with the plural "Thrupneys"
          Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
            My most memorable terror attack was the time when the IRA shot a few mortars at Dowing Street, I was somebody in the City at the time and I recall loads of people running around the Bank underground with one guy screaming out Londons under attack !
            Alfred, old chap, I think you've got skipped threads

Though it sounds as if it might have been a "thrupney" inducing moment
            Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

not when I was a young-un, being draged to the local working mens club, given my bottle of coke and a bag of crisps. Then someone would stand up and say "I'm off for a thrupney" and upon return would utter the histerical line "i'd give that ten minutes if I were you"

I was aware of the other usage, except that was used with the plural "Thrupneys"

But your not a Londoner?
              Here is the "official" Cockney translation, with variation.......

Thrupenny Bits Tits (breasts)

tulip Tom Tit

tulip William Pitt "I'm off for a William Pitt"

tulip Eartha Kitt

tulip Brace and Bit

tulip Brad Pitt (others)

tulipe Ben Cartwright

tulipe Barry White

http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk.../letter/T.aspx

Comment

I'm just stating what was used.

If you so wish, I appologise for the misuse of rhyming slang by the adults that surrounded me whilst I were a wee nipper.

Now go curl up in some nice fireplace untill the chldren want to play.
                Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

So if you fancy a bit of "Bendy" or a quick "Melvin" send me your "Samantha Mumba"

Comment

Working...
                  X