• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice needed about moving into contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

..with HUGH commissions....
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

What do you not like about it compared to other tools?

Comment

Originally posted by CM-G
        What do you not like about it compared to other tools?
        Slow, clunky interface, expensive, pessimisitic locking, slow, no merge capability, unreliable IDE integration, and did I mention its slow?

PVCS gave the whole team so much grief on my last project that if PVCS was the versioning system of choice on a contract I was interviewing for, I would seriously consider not taking it.

I really don't understand why anyone would even consider buying it with tools like SubVersion and CVS around.
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I didnt think it was too bad, the interface could be more dynamic I suppose and its certainly not cheap though!! I havent used CVS before is it easy to get up and runing? The fact its free is certainly good..

Comment

Originally posted by cojak
            And you think that as ITIL/ITSM contractors you'll be exempt from office politics??

Remember that when you reject an RFC from an old-timer or try to roll out a deployment with minimal previous Release Management involvement. Or try to point out that their Capacity Plan isn't. And have I mentioned ensuring that the Service Desk is a genuine SPOC?

And don't get me started on Supplier Reference Site Visits...

Good luck...

I suppose for me at the moment its a bit of the grass in greener, but I totally hear what your sayin about there still being politics. I suppose being a contractor just makes you an easier target in a way.

Comment

Well having performed the roles as a contractor and permie for large organisations you can never escape the PITA that is office politics.

However as a contractor I have been lucky enough to not have to deal with it as much as I would as a permie.

If there is a RFC from an old timer I am very much inclined to listen to what they say. I have also to say that in the event of a conflict it is not a major headache to discuss the relevant issues. I can learn something as can the old timer. And ultimately implementation of ITIL is driven top down and if there is resistance that is unwarranted there are internal permie processes deal with such a situation. It is not my job to get involved in that. My job is to deliver a functional ITIL framework.

As for release management - there is no such thing as minimal involvement. The entire process from Configuration, Change and Release needs to be followed. Remember it is an inclusive process.

In my experience I have pointed out issues like Capacity Planning not being up to scratch. Showing the business with sound reasoning, best practice and good presentation seems to work. After all they are not going to ignore you completely. And if they do ignore you then you should not be doing the job.

Or maybe I have been lucky...I don't know.

Service Desk - I hear you on that! Also trying to explain that every incident must be logged and dealt with can be a drag. Also explaining that Incident and Problem Management are not the same thing and must not be performed in the same team.

I have noticed though that management are starting to understand the SPOC concept. Which is nice.

Supplier Reference Site Visits...not a nightmare if your suppliers works within the ITIL framework. (*ahem*)

Of course I know its not all rosy and believe me...I have been through the meat grinder.... but they don't pay high rates for you to sit on your *rse.

The biggest problem is the cultural change and managing it successfully. And that is down to the business. I assist as much as I can but ultimately that is down to the business. If you are weak at this level then you will run into many issues that will threaten the successful delivery of the project.

What about your experiences?
              http://nickmueller.blogspot.com/

Comment

..with HUGH commissions....
                who's HUGH commissions?
                Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

no, I know you know (Oh, God another lovefest.... )

Essentially there's problems when some parts of the organisation are quicker to adopt ITIL than others.. it's sometimes just enough to be comfortable in a time-warp has you walk through doors (just ask zeity - he knows all about this).

And just wait till Malvolio gets started.

Ultimately I'm here cos I know what I'm doing and have had to use my "..so fire me"* statement here only twice.

That's why I'm a contractor...

*only to be used when you're ABSOLUTELY sure you're right and there's no viable alternative to your proposed solution.
                  Last edited by cojak; 7 July 2006, 09:36.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

How do you deal with space/time discontinuities within the same contract zeity?

Comment

How do you deal with space/time discontinuities within the same contract zeity?
                      I try to ensure the clients/agents/accountants involved are not working for the same company.
                      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                      X