• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BOOMED!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I did a management course once. We covered 'delegation'.

1) Explain how the task fits into the overall plan
    2) Explain the consequences of not completing the task
    3) Set a clear timescale
    4) Get agreement.

Tried it on my daughter.

"Please will you empty the dishwasher before I get home from work. Doing so will mean I can clear the kitchen to get dinner ready."

(Silence)

"Can you do that then?"

(Grunt)

Feck me - I came home and the dishwasher was empty! No tantrums (from me or her). Best £1200 I ever spent!
    According to Prince2 delegation includes authority, and tolerances. That is to say,

Can you please empty the dishwasher before I get home? Can you empty all of it, or everything apart from the cuttlery tray is fine if you don't feel confident handling sharp knives.

If you could do it before I get home, then great, or at least make sure it's done before I start preparing dinner as I need the contents restored to their respective cupboards and drawers.

You can get your sister to help if you like, so long as you share the work.

If there are any problems, or it looks like you cannot get this done in time then please call my mobile.

So you have delegated, given authority, tolerances, timescales and given a formal communication strategy in the even of any problems that would prevent the deliverable from happening on time and to spec.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      According to Prince2 delegation includes authority, and tolerances. That is to say,

Can you please empty the dishwasher before I get home? Can you empty all of it, or everything apart from the cuttlery tray is fine if you don't feel confident handling sharp knives.
      She's 20. I trust her with knives.

If you could do it before I get home, then great, or at least make sure it's done before I start preparing dinner as I need the contents restored to their respective cupboards and drawers.
      No, I would have started ranting if I'd got home and it wasn't done. Emptying the dishwasher was on the critical path.

You can get your sister to help if you like, so long as you share the work.
      She hasn't got a sister.

If there are any problems, or it looks like you cannot get this done in time then please call my mobile.
      If there are any problems, or it looks like you cannot get this done in time then you won't get any dinner.

FTFY

So you have delegated, given authority, tolerances, timescales and given a formal communication strategy in the even of any problems that would prevent the deliverable from happening on time and to spec.
      I think I prefer my version.

Comment

BOOMED!

Originally posted by Fandango View Post
        Been on the bench for 2 months, out of choice,

.!
        I have a lot of respect for people that do this. After all it's a key benefit of contracting!
        "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
        Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          She's 20. I trust her with knives.

No, I would have started ranting if I'd got home and it wasn't done. Emptying the dishwasher was on the critical path.

She hasn't got a sister.

If there are any problems, or it looks like you cannot get this done in time then you won't get any dinner.

FTFY

I think I prefer my version.
          You're version gets results, the other is Prince2
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by No2politics View Post
            I have a lot of respect for people that do this. After all it's a key benefit of contracting!
            TBH at first all i could think about was each day i wasn't billing but after a week or 2 i started to really relax and enjoy it. I'd take our little one to nursery, call into Morrisons on the way home for the pensioners/jobless bums breakfast , doing things round the house, having days out with the family, wandering round the shops and wondering why aren't all these other ****ers in work!?!

2 months off has equated to needing 4 months of outgoings from the the warchaest as i won't be invoicing for another month and the new client/consultancy have said their standard payment terms are 30 days so thats another month! (4months) (but i'm trying to negotiate that down to a week of 2 at most from date of invoice at the moment)

It's been 5 years of constant work so i was well overdue a break and i'd thoroughly recommend it to others if they've not done it yet but understandably the alure of ~£500/day is a hard thing to resist

Comment

Working...
            X