• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Meteor hits Russia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Speak to my Agent, cos the Contractor ain't listening - I'm already signed up with DA...!
    And dont you forget it
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

This one could be a bigger story:

A close call for asteroid big enough to flatten London
      Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Maybe it was a small lump associated with that bigger one that sailed past Earth a couple of days ago. They often seem to be in groups, like comet Shoemaker-Levy which hit Jupiter a few years back.

They say the dinosaurs were mysteriously in decline (after 150 millions years thriving) before the meteor hit 66 million years ago, and maybe that was a consequence of a smaller previous impact by another meteor in the same cluster
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Maybe it was a small lump associated with that bigger one that sailed past Earth a couple of days ago. They often seem to be in groups, like comet Shoemaker-Levy which hit Jupiter a few years back.
          The BBC report says that they approached/are approaching from different directions, so that is improbable.

Apparently Shoemaker-Levy broke up as it approached Jupiter's enormous gravitational and magnetic fields, which is why it impacted as several pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

They say the dinosaurs were mysteriously in decline (after 150 millions years thriving) before the meteor hit 66 million years ago, and maybe that was a consequence of a smaller previous impact by another meteor in the same cluster
            I was thinking that myself, especially as we had this as well

BBC News - 'Meteor shower' over Northern Ireland 'space junk'

Could the earth's gravity have pulled a few trailing crumbs into an elliptical orbit that swung back and twatted us?
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
              Get her family to collect fragments, they'll be worth a fortune!
              Just make sure they wear swimming goggles - you don't want any of that black oil stuff getting in your eyes. A full hazmat suit sould be better. I know if I was planning an alien invasion, I'd just send my DNA in a virus and wait ;-)
              Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Plus it was a comet, not a lump of rock.
                Ah yes, and that.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Apparently

‘Meteoor woog ongeveer tien ton’ – eerste fragmenten gevonden :: nrc.nl

A moderately large lump then.

It's the kiloton versions that can really ruin your day.
                  I didn't know you could speak Giant Alien Lizard.

Oh hang on, it's you.

Comment

I had to use Google translate..

it seemed to loose soemthing in transalation though...

The meteor would at least 54,000 kilometers per hour through the atmosphere came and fell about thirty to fifty kilometers above the ground apart. Ter vergelijking: de geluidssnelheid ligt rond de 1.236 kilometer per uur. In comparison, the speed of sound is about 1236 kilometers per hour
                    and

"The governor believes that in a few days everything is in order. Belangrijkste is de kapotte ramen dicht te plakken, desnoods met plakband. Most important is the broken windows closed to paste, if necessary with adhesive tape. Het wordt zeker min 15 's nachts. It is certainly minus 15 overnight. Hij heeft ook gezegd dat de meteoriet in een meer is gevallen, maar dat wordt door de afdeling Rampen ontkend.” He also said that the meteorite has fallen into a lake, but this is denied by the Department of Disaster. "
                    lol!

Comment

Here's an extensive collection of footage: Meteorite in Russia: all videos in one place

Comment

Working...
                      X