• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I've just got my first gig in the City

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
    I like these

Japanese Canteen
    Chicken Katsu curry FTW
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      They are part of Temples now and based on Houndsditch
      According to the website Houndsditch is one of eight locations

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
        You haven't lived till you've been taken up the heron tower
        Good call. So that's where I went today.

I said to the woman next to the lift at the ground floor that I just wanted a quick drink, and she let me in.
        Up the lift to the 30th floor, bottle of diet coke (£3.50) and then a scout around taking photos from all angles with the phone.

The east side was a little challenging because I had to go into the restaurant area - cue garcon saying "Can I help you sir", in a voice meaning "feck off you geeky chav".

Which reminded me that I hadn't actually achieved the purpose of my trip - to have lunch.
        Never mind. No more time. A Chicken and sweetcorn bap from a newsagents: £1.49

Here's a couple of the photos, to exercise your scroll bars..

West over the City + the west end:

South East (Gherkin):

Comment

Sweetings on Queen Vic street was always good for extended lunches & reassuringly expensive should your agent be paying

I recall having an oyster breakfast there on the morning of the "Big Bang" (no not the IRA)
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
            Good call. So that's where I went today.

I said to the woman next to the lift at the ground floor that I just wanted a quick drink, and she let me in.
            Up the lift to the 30th floor, bottle of diet coke (£3.50) and then a scout around taking photos from all angles with the phone.

The east side was a little challenging because I had to go into the restaurant area - cue garcon saying "Can I help you sir", in a voice meaning "feck off you geeky chav".

Which reminded me that I hadn't actually achieved the purpose of my trip - to have lunch.
            Never mind. No more time. A Chicken and sweetcorn bap from a newsagents: £1.49

Here's a couple of the photos, to exercise your scroll bars..

West over the City + the west end:

South East (Gherkin):
            The lunch at the Duck and Waffle is amazing and yes they do serve Duck and Waffle, as well as the foie gras all day breakfast mmmmmmmmmmm

Check out spitalfields and Devonshire square, there's loads of restaurants there, I can also recommend the following:

St John Bread and wine
            Androuet
            Hawksmoor
            Wagamammas
            Poppies - great fish and chips
            Planet of the grapes - Leadenhall market
            Cheese at Leadenhall
            Tortilla - Leadenhall market
            Itsu is always good
            The factory house
            Lahore Kebab house
            Tayyabs
            Cinnamon Kitchen
            Cafe Spice Namaste
            The wine library
            Haz
            La Relaise de Venise
            Moshi Moshi Sushi - Liverpool St station
            Byron burger
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              According to the website Houndsditch is one of eight locations
              They've shut down a lot of them. There used to be one on Cornhill but that is now a place called The Wurst Club and highly recommended by a German friend.

I also forgot to mention the counting House on Cornhill for excellent pies ( try the pie tasting plate) and also Simpsons Tavern off Cornhill if you want history and good food

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
                Congratulations on your new post.
                Well thank you.
                But I've already made over 1600 of them on this site so far, so I kind of know what I'm doing by now..

It's "Fuzzy's": they did go into administration several years ago, but appear to be trading again at several of their previous sites, and their website - which had disappeared, naturally - has been back for a while: Fuzzys Grub - Home

Found a review (on Qype) of one of their places that was written in January this year, so have a hunt
                Thanks too.
                There was one just around the corner.
                So yesterday lunch I had the beef "roast" takeaway for £5.75. Beef, roast spuds, veg, yorkshire pudding, and a dollop of horseradish sauce on top.

Horseradish sauce for horse. Who'd have thought it..

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                  Well thank you.
                  But I've already made over 1600 of them on this site so far, so I kind of know what I'm doing by now..

Thanks too.
                  There was one just around the corner.
                  So yesterday lunch I had the beef "roast" takeaway for £5.75. Beef, roast spuds, veg, yorkshire pudding, and a dollop of horseradish sauce on top.

Horseradish sauce for horse. Who'd have thought it..
                  Next week try that lot in a doorstep
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    Next week try that lot in a doorstep
                    WSY01S

When I was at Capital Radio a few years ago, permies used to stop as they passed my desk and gaze in awe upon my Fuzzy's roast dinner sandwich.

Comment

WSY01S

When I was at Capital Radio a few years ago, permies used to stop as they passed my desk and gaze in awe upon my Fuzzy's roast dinner sandwich.
                      Did you get Chris Tarrant's autograph?
                      One bloke who seems pretty sound to me..

Comment

Working...
                      X