• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wish this woman had asked about this in the Prof forums...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I'd have thought so, but the bank won't reveal who it is so the "victim" can't report the crime to the police.

But I'd have thought the bank could have taken back the money anyway - i.e. by giving the perp a £26K overdraft, even if they had no realistic possibility of ever getting the money back.
    I would expect it is against some human rights law to put someone in to debt like that. Really stupid situation that they can't take action on the person taking the money though.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Especially when you knowingly are taking and spending money that isn't yours
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Its not that nice, something that has always worried me, but:

Mrs Donaldson did not realise that the cash wasn't reaching her and her husband's Nationwide account - the couple only receive online statements, Mrs Donaldson would only check the balance if she went to a cash machine and her husband sorted out all the bills.
        What, did they only go to the cash machine once in all that period? Did her husband not see the discrepancy when paying the bills?

We have been reluctant to tell anyone we know about the error, so have dwelled heavily on it ourselves.
        So to keep it quiet they went and blabbed to the Mail!
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I agree that there must be more to this. You'd have to be jaw-droppingly thick not to notice that the money was missing. And I can sort of see why the bank won't do anything about it (if it was the bank's money they'd be all over the perp like a cheap suit though). On the off chance it is true perhaps HMRC could be persuaded to take an interest, it being unearned income?
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
            On the off chance it is true perhaps HMRC could be persuaded to take an interest, it being unearned income?
            And for that matter, if this woman has paid tax on her income and never received it, is she entitled to a refund?
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Hmm. How do you miss £1000 a month for 2 years? Seems well weird... Especially as they're saying they're not flush.

But banks are tossers. If it'd been just one payment I guess bank would have chased it?

Bit off of the other person to keep the money as well though.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X