• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Panorama - abortion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Nice cheery subject for a Monday evening.

They just said that 1 in 3 women have an abortion at some point in their lives. I'm not anti or pro abortion - I think it's a very personal choice, but 1 in 3 is shocking - I'm sure whenever it happens it causes emotional distress.
    Very tricky subject. Aborting a perfectly healthy foetus when others struggle to conceive is a tricky subject to get ones head around.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Also 1 in 3. Is this based on Select Distinct(Abortees) from Female Population or Select sum(Abortees) from Female Population before dividing by said population as I know some women who've had multiple abortions. As <9 weeks is by drugs it's all a bit misleading. With that said though, having an abortion is to easy IMHO and is seen as another simple choice for the modern girl.
      Beneath even you to come out with something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        I'm not blatantly anti-abortion, but I've been in a situation where my partner wanted to have the abortion and I was opposed to it on the grounds of 'it is what it is'. The decision should not be made lightly and I've seen women make the decision on the grounds of 'I've got a holiday booked' or 'im not with someone at the moment'. In the second case, that person made the decision three times and at 43 is now distraught as she now has no partner and the opportunity has gone.
        This explains a lot. Did 'it' get a reprieve? If not it would explain why you're such a ghoul.

Comment

Originally posted by Kryten View Post
          Had to report this. Absolutely disgusting thing to post. You are below scum.

Comment

I read MF's comment as more or less what they were saying on the programme which it that lip service is paid to the abortion laws - they were intended to allow for terminations where there was a real risk to the mother's mental health, but has become abortion on demand - i.e. it is easy to get an abortion if you decide that's what you want. For some women it's an easy choice if the alternative (having a baby) seems impossible, but that doesn't mean that they go into it lightly (although no doubt some do). There are women who are blase about it, there are others for whom guilt haunts them. IMO, it's not a decision most take lightly and causes at least some emotional distress for most.

Comment

I watched the program. They pointed out that the research that has been carried out tends to show no difference between the mental health of women who've had an abortion and those who've carried the baby to full term. In most of the UK, most of the time, it's abortion on demand.

Abortion needs to take into account that it is the ending of a human life. It may be the lesser of two evils, it may be that the mother's rights entirely override those of the foetus (as one of the interviewees said), but IMO, the minimisation of that uncomfortable fact doesn't serve anyone.

Pro-lifers view the rights of the baby as paramount.
              Pro-choicers view the rights of the woman as paramount.

I don't think there's much chance of a meeting of minds.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Not something I think requires moderator action.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Not something I think requires moderator action.
                  Oh Suity.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    I watched the program. They pointed out that the research that has been carried out tends to show no difference between the mental health of women who've had an abortion and those who've carried the baby to full term. In most of the UK, most of the time, it's abortion on demand.

Abortion needs to take into account that it is the ending of a human life. It may be the lesser of two evils, it may be that the mother's rights entirely override those of the foetus (as one of the interviewees said), but IMO, the minimisation of that uncomfortable fact doesn't serve anyone.

Pro-lifers view the rights of the baby as paramount.
                    Pro-choicers view the rights of the woman as paramount.

I don't think there's much chance of a meeting of minds.
                    Quite - I think the point was that the law either needs changing to recognise that what is happening is abortion on demand or enforcing so that it isn't. The programme contrasted the situation in NI to UK. One can see why NI doesn't want to relax their laws when they see what happened in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                      Quite - I think the point was that the law either needs changing to recognise that what is happening is abortion on demand or enforcing so that it isn't. The programme contrasted the situation in NI to UK. One can see why NI doesn't want to relax their laws when they see what happened in the UK.
                      Abortion is seen as a form of after the act contraception in my opinion. If you don't want kids take some responsibility for birth control.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X