• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Richard III

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Will he get a Catholic burial or a CofE one?
    He's already had a Catholic burial service when the Grey Friars originally buried him, and you can't have a second one in either church. So he'll have memorial services instead, both Catholic and Anglican, and be interred in Leicester Cathedral which, though Anglican now, was originally Catholic and so already contains numerous Catholic burials.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      It's Leicester they will probably cremate him and pop him in the river.
      There's a plaque on one of the bridges over the river asserting that his remains were chucked in somewhere near there, which was an old local legend. I'm going to nip up and get a photo of it before the council remember it and take it down.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        There's a plaque on one of the bridges over the river asserting that his remains were chucked in somewhere near there, which was an old local legend. I'm going to nip up and get a photo of it before the council remember it and take it down.
        Don't take a photo

take a screwdriver

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          Don't take a photo

take a screwdriver

Hard to tell but, looking at it on StreetView, I think it might need a spanner: https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=52.633...,32.54,,3,8.96

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Hard to tell but, looking at it on StreetView, I think it might need a spanner: https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=52.633...,32.54,,3,8.96
            mmm. a spanner eh ?
            It's difficult to tell, but maybe MF is available
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

For that particular plaque, a crowbar

but, on reading that plaque, I think it is the wrong one, and that this is the one in question -

Disc cutter I think.

(why did I just waste my time doing this?)
              Back at the coal face

Comment

Originally posted by al_cam View Post
                For that particular plaque, a crowbar

but, on reading that plaque, I think it is the wrong one, and that this is the one in question -

Disc cutter I think.

(why did I just waste my time doing this?)
                Ah, yes; but there's another one on the Bow Bridge, which may be the one I'm thinking of. Not sure which is which: if the western one is the one you've shown there, the other is at the eastern end, near that second one you show, which is in the wall of a modern building (early 80s) that used to house Widdowson's Haulage but is now some other company: https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=52.633...359.78,,2,7.79

I'm taking the Orion for its MOT just round the corner from there soon, so I'll pop round then and have a look.

EDIT: just realised the one you show is the eastern one, as it has the crest on top; the western one may be the one with the legend about his head striking a mounting stone or some such.

EDIT AGAIN: And here's the western one:

Last edited by NickFitz; 6 February 2013, 00:09.

Comment

Listerine mouthwash is good for removing plaque.

Comment

Working...
                  X