• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where to stay in New York City.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been three times with my wife and stayed in different hotels each time.
    The Hyatt (next to the Chrysler building) was nice.
    Waldof Astoria the second time. That was plush and got free chanpagne and chocolate strawberrys as it was our anniversary.
    3rd time was the novotel in times square. Not bad and great views if you get the right side of thebuilding.
    Got to agree that the empire state is a disappointment...just an old skyscraper inside and fairlytatty at that. Rockerfeller was much better.
    Horse and cart ride in central park is cool (bloomin freezing if it's winter) but expensive at 50 bucks for about 15 mins (plus tip).
    gotta be careful around time square..tiffany's is just up the road. I got stung for that one
    Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
      gotta be careful around time square..tiffany's is just up the road. I got stung for that one
      I thought Tiffanys was disappointing. I'm not into that namby pamby sort of faffy jewellery, but thought the shop itself might be amazing. Looked like Debenhams inside.
      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

I only went to New York once but I was staying in Poughkeepsie (courtesy of IBM) and had the weekend free. The train ride down alongside the Hudson was very interesting to say the least and I just spent the day walking as much as I could and looking at the various sights. I did the 2 things I wanted to really do and that was have Pastrami on Rye and go to the Food Hall in Central Station. The only thing that got on my wick were the signs outside of buildings stating that you couldn't smoke within 2 meters of the building which meant I had to stand in the road to smoke. Oh, and the guys in Starbucks in Times Square couldn't say my name and Ground Zero was just basically a lot of African gentlemen selling cheap tat
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
          I thought Tiffanys was disappointing. I'm not into that namby pamby sort of faffy jewellery, but thought the shop itself might be amazing. Looked like Debenhams inside.
          But no prices on the stuff downstairs.... If you've got to ask you can't afford it! Whisked the mrs upstairs straight away!
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

We stayed at the Library Hotel - near to Bryant Park - wan't mega expensive and was lovely. Right near Grand Central Station which I thought was fab - lots of nice food places there too. Nice walk to 5th Ave and Times Sq.

Those are very lucky girls
            Bazza gets caught
            Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
            X